Buck Hall Camping

Question for all the experienced campers. And I’m talking about tent camping. What time of the year would you consider the sand gnats to be so extreme to not try camping at Buck Hall? I’ve never camped close enough to the ocean to have to deal with these critters. Is it safe to say they cannot get in a tent zipped up or will they still be able to get in? This may be a crazy question. I just don’t want to get eaten alive.

Is there a way to combat them?

Thanks

I tent camped the north end of Capers, off and on for 15+ years. The only way to combat them is to avoid them. Low wind and mild temps are what they love. We usually hit those spots in late February , and tried to stay out of the dunes. I would not try the mainland, cant even go in my backyard right now, and I’m only 15 minutes from there.

A zipped up tent, forget it, they’ll come right through the screen, that only works for mosquitos.

They are part of the lowcountry, I really get a kick out of the come-yah’s when they monkey from gnat attacks

March always seems to be the worst for the winged teeth

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

We camp at Buck Hall during shrimp season every year,no see ums will be bad at the ramp but never had any issues with them at the tent sites. Usually a nice breeze coming off the waterway in the evenings.Mosquitoes…well lets not talk about them:smiley:

Spray the netting on your tent with repellant – It wont completely stop them but will slow them down

No Natz. Buy this product and never worry about them again. The tiniest amount sprayed on your hands and rubbed on your face and neck and you are done. Spray a little on your hands and wipe your tent screens and they wont come in. And NO, I am not a stock holder, friend, or acquaintance of those folks; just a big fan that keeps a bottle in my car and boat.
https://www.nonatz.com/no-natz

Ditto on the No Natz

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Thanks everyone. I didn’t realize the camp ground is closed until April 1. Is the ramp closed too or just the camp ground?

I keep a bottle of the No Natz in my work truck and house. I am a firm believer in it. Never would have thought about putting that on the tent.

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

quote:
Originally posted by misslily

No Natz. Buy this product and never worry about them again. The tiniest amount sprayed on your hands and rubbed on your face and neck and you are done. Spray a little on your hands and wipe your tent screens and they wont come in. And NO, I am not a stock holder, friend, or acquaintance of those folks; just a big fan that keeps a bottle in my car and boat.
https://www.nonatz.com/no-natz

Never tried this but thank you for posting. Will give it a try.

Bugs suck. They are no fun for anybody that’s out in them. My dogs also hate gnats, no-see-ums and skeeters. So, there is the stuff called Cypermethrin. Amazon, Tractor Supply, Walmart sell it. [https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Max-Insecticide-25-3-Cypermethrin/dp/B00555SR9Q] The deal is, you mix it up in a water spray bottle (read directions) and spray it on your clothes, hat, shirt, tent, etc. Yes, dogs too but carefully, down their back and it has TO DRY OUT. Once it dries out it’s ready to roll. It definitely helps keep no-see-ums and skeeters off you. Refresh every other week or maybe less often. Some outfitters sell clothing already infused with it.

Capt. Garry Coats
Folly Beach & CHS
@DolphinChartersSC

Tractor supply. Product name Wisdom. Spray around campsite and exterior of tent with a pump sprayer.