BUILDING A HOUSE: HVAC

Okay team… Much knowledge here on this board, so I would like to once again tap into your collective mindset if I may…

Any advice on HVAC units? Subcontractor is wanting to install BRYANT units. Are these any good, or are they crap?

Also, asking about 14 seer vs 15 seer… Assuming that the house is around 1500-1700 feet on each floor and for a family that likes the air on 71-73 degrees, how much would it drop the power bill each month going from 14 to 15? I know that “it depends”, but I’m really just looking on a ballpark here… Each floor is zoned separately.

Attic is using spray foam insulation (per advice from ona fishin mission!), but walls are standard BATT insulation.

Also, house will be on the water, so humidity and salty air are a concern for whatever unit it is…

Any advice?

If Samsung offers a smart unit with and integral tablet, I would lean towards that…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Installed 2 Trane units 15 years ago when I built, I’m less than 1/4 mile from Breach Inlet, on tidal salt marsh. Other than yearly maintenance, I’ve had only one capacitor to replace. The air filters are 3M brand, costs a little more than the old blue junk filters, but clean coils are key to efficient cooling /heating.

As far as power bill, I stopped the 71-72 degree setting on our thermostat, told my wife she was paying the bill if she wanted it that cold. Now stays 74-75 and the bill dropped. Really though, when it gets as hot as it was in July and early August, everything is working harder to keep things comfortable, even that fancy refer that plays movies and talks…

Consumer reports likes Trane too.

http://www.essmwa.com/heating-cooling/2014-consumer-report-ratings-on-hvac/

I wouldn’t worry as much about the seer rating as I would the components. I would strongly consider spraying the walls as well if you really want to save on your bill. I think 15 is the standard now if you want the discount from the power companies though.

Look for 2 stage compressors, and variable speed blowers on the air handlers. Dual fuel is the way to go if you already have a gas system on the house.

Electric to heat 90% of the time in the winter keeps the bill low, and then those cold 5-6 weeks the gas does the trick to keep the heat strips from lighting up your bill. If it were my new house, I would go with Trane/American Standard, Ruud, Goodman/Amana.

Get a good contractor that will really calculate your air flow and return ductwork. Great equipment doesn’t work if you don’t have enough air to move.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

SCE&G has some rebates you may qualify for.

https://www.sceg.com/for-my-home/save-energy-money/heating-cooling-rebates

https://www.sceg.com/for-my-home/save-energy-money

https://www.sceg.com/docs/librariesprovider5/pdfs/energy-saving-tips-2.pdf

https://www.sceg.com/for-my-home/save-energy-money/energy-saving-tips-projects

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro

If Samsung offers a smart unit with and integral tablet, I would lean towards that…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

"frigerata hata"

We got 2 Trane units, one for downstairs and one for up. Both are as old as the house, 20 years, and never needed much more than basic service, occasional starting capacitor or fan motor. No complaints, and when I replace them it will be with Trane again.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Do not go with Goodman I have had more work done to brand new unit than the one my dad installed at his house in 1988. Go with Trane and spray foam everything.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

I wouldn’t worry as much about the seer rating as I would the components. I would strongly consider spraying the walls as well if you really want to save on your bill. I think 15 is the standard now if you want the discount from the power companies though.

Look for 2 stage compressors, and variable speed blowers on the air handlers. Dual fuel is the way to go if you already have a gas system on the house.

Electric to heat 90% of the time in the winter keeps the bill low, and then those cold 5-6 weeks the gas does the trick to keep the heat strips from lighting up your bill. If it were my new house, I would go with Trane/American Standard, Ruud, Goodman/Amana.

Get a good contractor that will really calculate your air flow and return ductwork. Great equipment doesn’t work if you don’t have enough air to move.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

^^^^everything he said above. Only thing I would add is to keep in mind that a larger system won’t run as often which can lead to higher humidity and mold issues in our environment.

Which Goodman unit? The high efficiency units are made in the Amana factory and much better. If it’s just the standard builder grade Goodman, yeah they aren’t as good.

I prefer Trane as well.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Any HVAC shops you recommend? I’m sure my contractor is going to want to push me to use “his guy”, but “his guy” doesn’t have that great of reviews on Google… There was a company called “Blake & Sons” who had 52 reviews on Google which averaged 5.0 stars… That seems hard to do.

Would be really nice if you posted a photo journal of your house being built. I love stuff like that.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

skinneej, check out Geothermal!

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Any HVAC shops you recommend? I’m sure my contractor is going to want to push me to use “his guy”, but “his guy” doesn’t have that great of reviews on Google… There was a company called “Blake & Sons” who had 52 reviews on Google which averaged 5.0 stars… That seems hard to do.

Commercial and residential, I have used Berkeley Heating/Air, in Charleston doing business since 1958. I have the maintenance agreement for my home system, they check everything twice/year, mainly have it so I'm first on list if something goes down on a hot summer night.

I would make sure a man j load is done to verify the correct size is installed, make sure your duct is tight, less than 2% leakage. Foam the cracks of your home and then you will see the savings! Multi stage equipment is the way to go. I would rather have 18 seer Goodman than 14 seer Trane anyday. They all have the same components anymore. I would rather have a $200 power bill than a $400 bill anyday to be comfortable.
Hope this helps!

skinnee, contact WStrickland on this site. many on here have used him with good results.

Replaced my trane unit with American standard. Built on the same assembly line as trane. Everything is identical except they put the name American standard on it and it’s much cheaper than trane.