Bushy Park and HoooooTT!

Fished Monday around 11:00am with rising tide. Push a little way and started fishing with MM and realized after 3 hooked and landed 1 that strikes of live compared to Artificial is different. MM takes awhile to get the fish in it’s mouth whereas the artificial is a harder strike. Now this is my assumption, but the flounders and Reds bite was good even though the water was Murky. Had a nice flounder bite but the structure assisted it in getting free. It was definitely hot on the water even with a mild wind at times

3 Likes

Thanks for your report, Sir!!

I’ve caught a few Flounder, over the years, mostly, by accident.

My Grand’pa, on the other hand, was a master at catching them.

Especially trolling. He always told me he would count to 5, before setting the hook.

He only used Mud Minnows for bait

You might give that a shot next time?

Do you have to say Mississippi too? Asking for a friend

1 Like

Unless you’re @EF1, then you say Tennessee… :wink:

1 roll tide 2 roll tide…….

1 Like

1…Go Tigers
2…Go Tigers

old buddy used to say open a beer and smoke a cigarette then set the hook

i like live shrimp, they don’t play with 'em like they do a minner. especially if you pull off a good one, throw a shrimp right back in there

up Cherry Grove way, they use striped killifish almost exclusively for trolling. nobody trolls down here, don’t know why. Done it in Pawley’s with a trolling flap behind the motor to go real slow and then free spool it for a while when there’s a hit.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/trol-a-matic-trolling-plate

1 Like

Is a Striped Killifish the same thing they call a Tiger Minnow?

Kinda looks like a juvy Snook?

Ol’ Pop’s would use them sometimes, when he could catch 'em.

Flounder loved them!

Thanks for the additional information. Tying some hooks now for tomorrow

2 Likes

yessir. they are closely related to mudminnows, they are just basically the sand-dwelling version that you find in tide pools etc

males have bars and females have stripes, sexually dimorphic like their mummichog brethren

2 Likes

Let us know how you do!!

If only Bud Light would’ve had this description before nose diving

Jimmy Price up in Southport, N C was one the greatest flonder guys, made several videos for sale too, and gave Seminars.

He told me personally that he smoked a full cigarette while waiting, of course he was a chain smoker who smoked Lucky Strikes, so probably not the time typical of smokers.

Not as much as many used to, but me along with a few others I know still do a decent amount of trolling in small creeks in the Beaufort area. Mostly late season or very slow against current in January.

Lots of good info here. We call those vertically striped fish mummichogs. Always been pretty good bait for me.

Any flounder I have ever caught is by accident. Never had the gift for targeting them like Fatrat does.

Interesting observation about the strike on live vs artificial.

Are they pretty much the same size as mudders? I cant say I’ve ever seem them, I can say I’ve never looked for them, so there’s that. Ill pay more attention to my catch next time for sure.

1 Like

I usually only catch them in the ICW or east of there.

1 Like

This is the mummichog/mudminnow/ Fundulus heteroclitus (male top and female bottom, image courtesy of the state of CT)

The killifish/tiger minnow/ Fundulus majalis is pretty much only found in completely sandy habitats like beaches and inlets as sman said. Same size range, but killis are less soft and wiggly… if you will

2 Likes

And THAT is why I am not a Marine Biologist. I apologize to all the fish I mis-identified.