Camping on Capers

[file ]error[/file]We had an epic boat trip last year from Darlington to Georgetown, Charleston, and to Santee. We camped on the North end of Capers Island. Is the south end any better for camping? We were thinking about camping on the South end this year? Does anyone have an opinion on this? Lasy year we camped May 31st and there were some event tents set up. We camped under those tents. Any idea what event was going on?

Thanks

https://itsalmo.st/its-almost-dd20

[file ]error[/file]

Not sure about the camping thing…but was curious about your trip. How deep is the Pee Dee on your trip…always wondered everytime I drove over it.

I think if you contact Robert Renkas RenkasB@dnr.sc.gov he can tell you about camping on Capers. My son did an Eagle Scout project on Capers and Robert (email came up in my email search) was our project manager.

Heck of a trip!

______________________________________________________ "I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public." ~my dad

Equipment:
*2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
*2006 Boston Whaler 13’
1 - wife (The Warden)

Former ECFC

https://www2.dnr.sc.gov/ManagedLands/ManagedLand/ManagedLand/666

Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha 250

The river has plenty of water in it. The depth when we went last year measured 6’ at the Pee Dee at Pee Dee gauge which is located on 301 bridge in Marion. The depth of the river fluctuates a lot. More so than the tide. It could raise or drop 20’ over a weeks time or faster.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ilm&gage=pdes1

We only hit 1 sand bar the entire way down and just grazed across it. It didn’t even slow us down. It should be a good bit deeper this year. I think the DNR guy I talked with was named Laurence. We have a permit. You can camp on the North end or the South end. I just wondered if 1 end was better than the other.

Here are a few pictures of the Eagle Scout bird watching benches and resting bench. They were built on the pond impoundment dike which I believe was partially washed away during a hurricane. The boat dock was also damaged, I don’t know if they fixed the dock yet. Good flat ground if you can camp there.

______________________________________________________ "I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public." ~my dad

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
*2006 Boston Whaler 13’
1 - wife (The Warden)

Former ECFC

Claim, that is nice!

Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha 250

What kind of boat did you make that trip in & how long did it take?

Ha…thanks. We put most of the material in 3 boats…one was the DNR boat, a 24 foot Ranger Bay and a 17 foot cc. We motored up the creek that runs off the end of Capers. Never thought a boat would go up there, but the big boats were just fine.

Equipment:
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
*2006 Boston Whaler 13’
1 - wife (The Warden)

Former ECFC

According to DNR the boat dock has not been repaired. Those birdwatching benches look pretty cool but that area is off limits for camping. You are only "supposed to " camp on the beach. We camped on the North End last year.

We took a 24’ pontoon with an Optimax 115. Set cruise control to about 15mph. We allowed 3 days for the trip. I think we burned about 85 gallons of fuel.

This is us beached up on the North End of Capers. I had a lot more picture but deleted them by mistake.

The North end is more desirable for camping.