Car Repair Question

A good friend of mine has a 2005 Chevy Suburban that needs a new Hydro Boost Power steering and Brake pump. Unfortunately, he knows I am handy with auto repairs so he called me. His shop wants $800 to replace it so he asked if I thought WE could replace it since the parts can be bought for less than half of that. I have replaced brake master cylinders before but have never dealt with a hybrid system like this and don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. I’m confident I can get the old one off and the new one on, just want to make sure I can get it operating safely after the fact.

Is anyone here familiar with this system and if so, can you offer any input as to replacing it?

Thanks.

Make sure you or him are really flexible. Its a royal PITA to get the brake pedal linkage unhooked and then hooked back up on the booster. I want to say that the hydraulic booster should bleed itself, but definitely don’t take my word for it. You would just need to bleed the brake lines, and that alone is reason enough for me to pay someone else to do it.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

The best way to answer that would be to pull it up on Youtube (you can find a video about everything on Youtube), see what is involved in the process and decide if you think it is more than you want to tackle or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YELeC2xG20Y

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

Is it leaking from the weep hole where the booster bolts to the master cylinder? There is a seal that can be replaced fairly easily.

If not, replacing the unit isn’t bad. You will just need to bleed the master cylinder, and usualy will have to bleed entire brake system as normal.

This one does not require a Tech2 to bleed the ABS system. Should be no big deal other than brake pedal connection.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I am a big DIY’er, and have helped out many friends. But I don’t think I would want to do any brake work on a friends car. Too much liability. Pads are not a big deal, as you aren’t doing anything to any lines. Though I am sure someone could pinch a line and have it break down the road. I just wouldn’t want to be removing all those lines on a friends truck. I couldn’t sleep at night, so it wouldn’t be worth it to me. $800 is not a big repair bill. If it was saving someone thousands of dollars, maybe.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess part of me is a little reluctant to tackle such a job. These folks are good friends of mine but, it isn’t one I am really wild about doing not to mention I have to replace struts on my sister’s car and have an ever-growing list of my own “to do’s” and not sure when I’d do it anyway.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

that last posts speaks volumes about you DF

“I am not involved in this thread, only helping Fred understand who he is dealing with.”

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

A good friend of mine has a 2005 Chevy Suburban that needs a new Hydro Boost Power steering and Brake pump. Unfortunately, he knows I am handy with auto repairs so he called me. His shop wants $800 to replace it so he asked if I thought WE could replace it since the parts can be bought for less than half of that. I have replaced brake master cylinders before but have never dealt with a hybrid system like this and don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. I’m confident I can get the old one off and the new one on, just want to make sure I can get it operating safely after the fact.

Is anyone here familiar with this system and if so, can you offer any input as to replacing it?

Thanks.

If my wife ever hears about this device, my life will get a whole lot easier…

RBF

quote:

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess part of me is a little reluctant to tackle such a job. These folks are good friends of mine but, it isn’t one I am really wild about doing not to mention I have to replace struts on my sister’s car and have an ever-growing list of my own “to do’s” and not sure when I’d do it anyway.

If need need an “on-the-side” cash mechanic, give me a shout. If I can’t tackle it, I’ve loads of friends in the business.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Thanks again guys (especially you Pea). I am actually in Columbia but I appreciate your willingness to help.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

Thanks.

If my wife ever hears about this device, my life will get a whole lot easier…

RBF

Are you saying your wife doesn’t make much vacuum? get it? diesel’s make no vacuum = hydro boost for power brakes.

DFreedom, If your are just talking about the Pump itself, no problem at all. Just need a pulley puller/ installer and to make it easier to access lines pull the plastic fender well. just some plastic push-lock clips. I’ve had several of our trucks fail the pressure lines from the pump to hydro boost and the pressure from hydro boost to steering gear box. not very expensive and if over 100k i’d talk your friend into replacing them.

No, it is the hydro boost that mounts on the firewall. The brake master cylinder is bolted to it. Kind of a weird setup, never seen anything like it before. Thus my apprehension at replacing it myself.

quote:

No, it is the hydro boost that mounts on the firewall. The brake master cylinder is bolted to it. Kind of a weird setup, never seen anything like it before. Thus my apprehension at replacing it myself.

Can’t help you on the easy of replacing one, it takes the place of using vacuum that a gas engine can generate for the brake booster.

Loose the power steering pump and there goes your brakes!

If you’re like me you find it hard to say no to helping a friend, pitviper put out some good advice. youtube has some crazy good information on it. In the last year, I’d hate to say how much I’ve used it. Got to weed through the nonsense…