catalpa worms

Where can I find some.

1720 KW 110 Johnson
16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

On Catalpa trees in late July through mid August. I had millions last year for about 3 days and then they were gone. I have tried every method in the book to freeze some for later, but it always ruins the worms and they turn black and nothing will bite them. Fresh is the only way.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Tigerfin
we used to freeze in plain flour. Could keep them all year, they would come see acj to life once un tbawed.

fish today work tomorrow

There is a place in North Carolina that sells them frozen but they don’ t ship.

1720 KW 110 Johnson
16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

There is a place in North Carolina that sells them frozen but they don’ t ship.

1720 KW 110 Johnson
16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Catawba… Catawba is the word you’re looking for… When I was a kid we had a huge catawba tree in the back yard… Millions of those suckers everywhere… free bait though, so that was nice…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

http://www.thebaitbarn.com/storename/baitbarn/dept/236404/ItemDetail-10481606.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by chickenhawk 26

Tigerfin
we used to freeze in plain flour. Could keep them all year, they would come see acj to life once un tbawed.

fish today work tomorrow

^^^^^^^

That’s the ticket, frozen in Flour. Never had one come back to life though.

I’ve caught some fish with them but actually had better luck with Earth worms and crickets.

I never tried flour, but dried sawdust, gelatin, and just freezing them all do not work. They won’t come back to life and the fish just don’t like them as much if they’re not fresh. If I have any this year I’ll have to try the flour.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Mad Mike, if you google it the site comes up spelt the other way. Either one gets same results.

1720 KW 110 Johnson
16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Coot- Yeah i know, I was just messin’ around… I’m from Western NC, we always called em’ Catawba worms… of couse, I lived in the Catawba valley, beside the Catawba River, so that may have had something to do with it…

Scientifically I believe Catalpa is proper…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

I always spelled it catawba. My sister had some in Alabama.

1720 KW 110 Johnson
16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

I always spelled it catawba. My sister had some in Alabama.

1720 KW 110 Johnson
16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Catalpa is the name of the tree and thus the worms.

" Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"
whaler3

There is a tree at my grandmother’s house that used to have a good crop of worms every year which meant a trip to lake Monticello was in store with grandpa but now the tree doesn’t produce many worms??? Wonder why?

Bump

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

The largest catalpa (catawba) tree I ever saw was in AuSable Forks NY. This thing was massive. I didn’t know that they lived that far north.

oc

Cut your trees back every winter. Bigger is not better in this case. To freeze them you should first drown them in ice water, Rinse them off. Put them in a container. Cover with water. a little bit of fruit fresh. Seal. Freeze. They will crawl off six months later when you thaw them out.

Also trees near yard lights will have worms the earliest. Avoid all pesticides near your trees.

Flowering trees seem to be the least attractive for the moth to lay her eggs.

Every full moon from may till September the moth will come lay eggs. We have had them as late as November.

i don’t know much, but I know when you speak on these things - it’s truth. hope the beagles are good.