Catching Cigar Minnows

Ok, I would like to know the way everyone is catching cigar minnows out by the C-Bouy. We stopped and caught a couple using sabiki rigs with very small squid strips, but the depth finder seemed to indicate much more bait present than the 2-3 we caught. Are people using sabiki’s, bait/chumming, or throwing a cast net. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we come from Columbia and would prefer not to spend a long time catching bait, but actually fishing. As a side note we were able to catch scads of lizardfish…

Thanks Again

red hook sabikis #12’s 6 at a time

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

So thats red hooks bare? No bait of any sort? Are these fished on the bottom or near the top, or suspended in the water column? Is there some time of the year that better or worse out there? Sorry for so many questions.

Just curious as to what is magic about the C-Bouy that it holds them and others do not seem to have a large amount of bait present.

Thanks for the help

not just the C-bouy, most all the cans hold bait. We catch them from the surface to the bottom. keep checking cans until you find a hungry school. Sometimes they will get finicky and not bite, other times they cover your hooks in seconds. I never tip my sabiki hooks with bait. i always go very small with the weight as well. Those small blue runners “hard tails” also work very well.

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

I’ve never baited a sabiki in my life. Never caught a lizard fish on one either :smiley: Ugh!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

Okay, help me out here. The only time I have used a sabiki rig was in FL and we put tiny pieces of squid on the hooks. If you don’t bait the hook, what are you doing?

Going to FL in April and want to take a sabiki to catch bait.

the cigars are hitting at the flash of the sabinki. just like a lure for other fish. btw gold aberdeen hooks make a mighty fine sabinki rig.

green grass and high tides forever
jhp----- Murrells Inlet

I can tie you up a sibiki driver, if you tell me what size hooks you want on it … probably any color too, doing the fly tying I should be able to make it happen… The only thing I would ask is my supply cost

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,
goes home through the alley.
-Anonymous

Caught just about everything you can imagine on sabikis. Spanish, blues, trout, shark, pinfish, butterfish, green backs, etc.

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

Good info indeed. Perhaps the hook baiting was a negative instead of a positive in this case. I will give it a try at the other bouys as well. Thanks for the help everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Okay, help me out here. The only time I have used a sabiki rig was in FL and we put tiny pieces of squid on the hooks. If you don’t bait the hook, what are you doing?

Going to FL in April and want to take a sabiki to catch bait.

There really isn’t much to it. With the packages they come in it makes them even easier to deal with as well (leave in package until the minute your ready to use). I do as small as possible sinker on the heavy end, cast where schools of bait are or should be. If they eat it you don’t have to do much of anything other than reel it in, steady pace or jigging doesn’t really seem to matter for me. Catch greenies very well during cobia run. Someone posted on here a while back a slick way to bend up a coat hanger to get the bait off the hooks, no sense in buying a $10 de-baiter.

“If you had to tell someone how good you are, then you probably aren’t that good”

02 Carolina Skiff 175 RG Honda 90 -

Agreed on the unbaited sabiki’s catching anything. I watched my brother reel up an 18" gag on a sabiki once while jigging bait offshore. Put a nice bend in the bait rod for a few minutes, the only way I can see that he didn’t get get broken off is that we were drifting and the gag couldn’t get into a hole, I was pretty impressed.

Pardon this dumb question: are you catching them to freeze for bait,or is some gamefish biting them now?:question:

“Fair skies, tight lines, and green numbers.”