Charleston King Classic- Late Report

What an awesome day!! It was flat as glass and the bait was everywhere.

First off it was around 8:00 a.m. and the starboard side downrigger rod started screaming, so I ran/hobbled over there and grabbed the rod and managed to slam my already broken knee cap into the gunwale. I was in agony! By this time the fish had already ran off about 200 yards of line and was still going. I knew it was a good fish! About 15 minutes later we finally managed to get it to where we could see it and it was Nice! Suddenly the fish takes off again and a 10’-12’ Hammerhead Shark appears and commences to chase after it. I thought to myself that it’s all over if I don’t allow the fish some running room, so I put the reel in free spool and barely put my thumb on the spool to keep it from bird nesting on me. The fish zigzagged every which way after taking off about 150 yards of line and suddenly turned back towards the boat. I put the reel back in gear and commenced to reeling as fast as I could while Ashley backed the boat away from the fish. As soon as the fish appeared close to the boat the Shark returned and swiped at the King again. I had to do the same thing 2 more times and finally on the fourth time the King was tired and just lay there by the boat…Meanwhile the Shark is still circling the boat. Tony quickly grabbed the gaff and stuck the fish and brought it over the side. I immediately started yelling, because I knew it was possibly a tournament winner.

We kept on fishing and had another nice one up close to the boat that was longer than the one we already had, but not as fat. The hook pulled before we could get it close enough to really tell though. Anyways, we caught a tew more smaller fish and went to the weigh in around 3:45.

The scale showed 37.86lbs and the leader board changed. We were now in first place. After 2 hours of waiting we managed to hold on to first place and got a nice check and a bonus fishing trip to Guatemala that the SKA threw in for us.

I’ll post pictures later.

Not

Awesome LIKKA! Congrads!

26’ SeaCat with Twin Yammy 150 Saltwater Series.

NICE!!

Charlie “So you’re the one…”

Maverick “Yes ma’am”

Congrats on the catch & win!

Likka, I was the boat that got in your way when you were trying to dock and weigh your fish. We had just weighed ours and like you, the leader board changed, and we were now in first…which is why I was in your way…I new you had the bigger fish :wink:…again, sorry for the cluster. Congrats on the fish and the win!!

Mo’ Better II

quote:
Likka, I was the boat that got in your way when you were trying to dock and weigh your fish. We had just weighed ours and like you, the leader board changed, and we were now in first....which is why I was in your way...I new you had the bigger fish ...again, sorry for the cluster. Congrats on the fish and the win!!

Hey, no problem man. I know it sucks to be knocked out of first place…Especially by only .40lbs. I’d take second any day though. Congrats on your fish. Thankfully I didn’t even get a chance to look at the board before we weighed the fish, so I had no idea it was going to be that close. How’d you know ours was going to be bigger? It was a good bit bigger when we first boated it at 8:30 a.m. The “shrinkage factor” kicked in a little bit after the blood loss.

Nothing but a “SMART-ELLIC”!

I didn’t know your fish was going to be bigger, but it sounded like a good excuse for getting in the way. Again congrats and let us know how Guatemala turns out.

Mo’ Better II

Great report!

dirty boots are on - hi di ho

LIKKA LOGGA good post. Would have been a better post if I would have been on the boat this time. But oh well. Rockville will be fun, and I wont miss another trip this year. Congrats guys…

West Marine #1751
Charleston, Sc
843-763-6360

WE MAKE BOATING MORE FUN!

Great job Logga!!!

Be there or be on the Short Bus!!

He took the bait like a bonnethead on a day old crab…

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for putting up the pictures for me Ricky!

Congrats Anthony on second, 10 grand wil buy alot of gas and some new tackle.

This just sounds like a good “fish story” to me…

“No tail like Split Tail…”

Thats a really nice fish! Congrads

This fish looks stressed.

Be there or be on the Short Bus!!

He took the bait like a bonnethead on a day old crab…

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

quote:
This fish looks stressed.

You should’ve seen her when the Hammerhead was chasing her. She was stone dead when we got her in the boat.

Great job with the hammerhead!! Congrats.

oldschool
352 wellcraft
trip E-Tecs

Ashley doesnt look like he just won 23 g’s!!

A cooler of buds, a bucket of bait, and the skeeters are biting. It dont get no better than this!!

17 G3 w/ 50 yamaha

Hey LL: I’ve been kingfishing 30 years, and that’s the best shark story I’ve heard man. Congrats and a job well done from an ol’timer!!!

i believ that boy is A Dock bound

congratz