Charleston to Beaufort ICW trip

Looking to make this trip in the next month or so. Tried to run a search on here as I’m sure it’s been brought up but the searches returned nothing. Looking for estimated runtime leaving from near the harbor to downtown Beaufort. Running a 30+ ft center console that loves to cruise 30-35 mph. Probably take a few breaks to enjoy the scenery on the trip. Any sketchy areas to watch out for? Thoughts on the marina downtown Beaufort for docking a few hours for lunch? Any other thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Google Morgan island it will be on your path. Just a few minutes and you may get a glance at some monkeys. Been there a few times this summer and only saw them once latter I’m the evening. Don’t stray from the markers at low tide. Tons of sand and mud flats.

“Why Bruce?”

Made this trip many times. ~55 NM from Wappoo. Small free dock at landing on S side. Marina will prob charge you to dock in theirs. The wall used to be $5 but prob don’t want your boat there. Great place as you can walk anywhere on the waterfront. ~35 more to HH/Daufuskie. We rented a golf cart there once and explored the island.

Our favorite; Get a slip for couple of days and a room at a B&B (Rhett House is very nice), carriage tour, B&B bikes, and boat for exploring.

This is a fun trip, when I have done it we left Charleston on Saturday and made good time getting there and did it in about 3 hours. We spent the night so we took in a nice meal at Saltus and stayed at I think it was a Day’s Inn at the time. Coming home on Sunday we explored and it took us about 10 hours coming back.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

The transient dock at the Downtown Marina in Beaufort has been recently upgraded. I’m not sure what they charge. I don’t suggest using the small dinghy dock south of the marina due to depth at low tide. Definitely don’t tie up to the seawall. From the transient dock it’s an easy walk to all of the stuff in Downtown Beaufort on Bay Street. If you want to go real swanky, stay at the Beaufort Inn.

Saltus and Breakwater are both acceptable restaurants.

Narcosis

I’ve been wanting to do the same trip myself. The only sketchy area that I know of is near the N Edisto. Make sure you stay in the channel markers in Wadmalaw Sound. I’ve seen boats around the size of yours try to take the short cut and run aground multiple times. Also, when you hit the N Edisto river and it starts to turn right towards the Dawhoo bridge, you may want to throttle back until you pass the bridge. At low tide it can get real sketchy through there.