Charleston Winter Trout Trips

The trout bite is still good. With the recent heavy tides/currents, I have had to target bigger eddy’s and find the cleanest water available. Here is a screenshot of a nice bend with a oyster/sandbar coming off it with a deep drop nearby. As the current is flowing past this spot, it is creating a nice eddy or backflow to the current. The trout have been stacked in the calm eddy and pouncing out to feed in the stronger current. I have been drifting my popping corks with artificial shrimp just inside the eddy or right in the current with success. A more solid color bait like the white with chartreuse has been working well.

Wow, best teaching report ever

Excellent and appreciated. How deep are you fishing the shrimp?

In this situation, 3-6’.

Great information! I noticed on my last trip that some of our trout where in eddy current off of main creek points. Caught several in 13’ drifting a Zman Electric Chicken

Mark Ingle
NauticStar 1810 Merc 90

That’s a great report and I thank you for taking the time post.

quote:
Originally posted by captfields_sc

The trout bite is still good. With the recent heavy tides/currents, I have had to target bigger eddy’s and find the cleanest water available. Here is a screenshot of a nice bend with a oyster/sandbar coming off it with a deep drop nearby. As the current is flowing past this spot, it is creating a nice eddy or backflow to the current. The trout have been stacked in the calm eddy and pouncing out to feed in the stronger current. I have been drifting my popping corks with artificial shrimp just inside the eddy or right in the current with success. A more solid color bait like the white with chartreuse has been working well.

2015 226 Seafox Commander 200 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

great report!!

Always great to get this kind of information. Thanks captain

great graphics…very helpful !!!

Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing! In this situation, are you “popping” the cork or just letting ride the currents?

Very helpful post. Thank you.

Captfields,

Thanks for taking the time to post. It’s very educational for me.

I thought I saw where someone else asked but couldn’t find it. What do you use to get that kind of contour detail in the creeks? I have been looking at the Navionics app on my phone and their web app on line but the detail is only in the main rivers and large creeks. It also has much fewer contour lines (about every 5 to 10 feet of depth) and less feature detail.

Hey, thanks. On your Navionics App (both mobile and online) try switching to sonar charts as your chart source. That will give you the tight 1ft contours. Let me know if this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by FlickerFisher

Captfields,

Thanks for taking the time to post. It’s very educational for me.

I thought I saw where someone else asked but couldn’t find it. What do you use to get that kind of contour detail in the creeks? I have been looking at the Navionics app on my phone and their web app on line but the detail is only in the main rivers and large creeks. It also has much fewer contour lines (about every 5 to 10 feet of depth) and less feature detail.

Ahhhhh! That works! Cool.

Thanks.

Thanks man!!

22 robalo