Charleston Woes

Im getting so sick of the traffic in the morning i am seriously considering getting out of this place. I am commuting 10 hours a week. I grew up here, but have about had it. it’s mentally killing me.
As an engineer I should be able to find work. I want to still be near the coast but don’t want a high cost of living area. i’m thinking Beaufort area, but still the housing prices are high.
Does anybody know of a hidden secret between here and florida?
Are any of you get sick of this traffic? it gets worse 5-10 fold every year.

When I have to go to Charleston I try to go early early when I leave I either leave early early or late late.
Come on up to North Myrtle Beach area. We ha 31 that gets us around all the BS

When we moved to the Boro 16years ago,traffic was minimal. Now its heavy but not to heavy.
My wife drives to the old navy base everyday. She leaves early and leaves work around 330,gets home are 430ish

3:30 in the afternoon. Guess I’m not early enough. Trying to get to Georgia sitting in traffic on 526.

And just love sitting on a bridge.

We had a crew working on James Island… Chilsome road just past limehouse landing. I can’t believe how that place has grown! All that area was nothing but tomato/truck farms. I was stuck dead in traffic all the way back past red top a couple of times. What used to take me an hour to get to Ralph Johnson now takes 1:45 if traffic is flowing. The VA off RIvers is a solid 2 hours if all goes well. I freaking hate traffic!!! It’s coming to Walterboro. All we need is a few more older generations to die out and the “youngsters” get the propter and sell out. When I say need, I’m being sarcastic.

As an Engineer I would think you could get a job working mostly from home at least. And of course, there are the remote engineering jobs like Volvo, Boeing, etc. near the city when you want the city convenience.

Direct answer, yes getting out to the suburbs makes sense too, negative side is you still have a very long commute rush hour, hard to win.

I was in Charlotte in the 80’s when it exploded, many locals moved closer to work to shorten the drive time. Now uptown Charlotte is exploding with condos for the young crowd who work uptown to avoid the drive. In either case, relocation closer to work seems to be the answer, especially if you work in Mt. Pleasant, or near downtown Charleston.

For years, my wife and I dreamed of retiring and moving to the Charleston area. With the cost of living, the never-ending sprawl and the traffic, we decided to stay put. We love Charleston and the whole area down there and will continue to visit but living there isn’t going to happen for us.

Forget about Beaufort. They had a chance a few years back to build a third bridge to the mainland but didn’t do it. Now it can take up to a half hour to get across the Woods bridge.
At any one time about a third of the cars are from a northern state or worse yet, California.

These folks talk openly in public places about how they need to “straighten this place out” with more taxes and more government. We just don’t have the infrastructure to support this kind of population growth. Forty years ago I would slow down and “catch second” before pulling onto Hwy 21. Now I am in for a wait and God help me if I am turning to the left!

What Engineering field, and does it require on-site attendance, hybrid, remote, etc.

Just curious, if you don’t want to answer, no problem… However, the type of Engineering field can make a big difference in choosing a location as I am sure you already know…

electrical and integration. could do a decent amount remote, however i have to be on-site full time right now so i assume that would be the case for most places, but not all.

Manufacturing? That’s what I did for the majority of my career…

yep
been at the same place for 18 years

Don’t rule out surrounding areas close by. Yemassee, Walterboro, Cottageville etc. Land prices still high, but some home / land packages have come down. I’m with Tanksgt on Beaufort. Maybe 15 years ago.

I heard through the rumor mill that the inland Port that was coming in 2008ish before the big bust is back on the drawing board and gaining traction. That would be wonderful to pull a lot of the truck traffic away from Charleston.

I hear there’s this Muardaugh place in Mossel for sale. They say it’s selling cheap. ~~~ only 3.9 million.

Wish you the best in your search… The balance of whether to find the location, and then find the job… Or vice versa, is where it gets tricky…

interesting. I didn’t realize that.

thanks. i agree. it’s been on my mind for quite some time now.

Maybe while you’re stuck in traffic you can “rage apply” on your phone for numerous jobs like Zoomers do…

Last I knew it was going in around the Georgetown / Awendaw area. With highway to tie into Myrtle Beach, I26, and I95 Never saw plans on highway locations.

Charleston, even with improved roads, still can’t handle all the traffic and additional growth going on. I’d guess 20 years behind growth spurt.

Grew up in Beaufort, that was another one of our possible relocation spots. I love Beaufort but, so many yankees and again, uncontrolled growth and prices going up. We haven’t had a house payment in years so we’ll just use it as our base and do some traveling.

1 Like

Yeah pretty much sucks. I remember shooting deer on I-26 when it was under construction.Very near the coliseum.Why are we so cool?

1 Like