CHARTER BOAT ROBBED ON KIAWAH RIVER - LAST NIGHT

A local charter captain had 9 rods and reels stolen last night from his boat near Rhett’s Bluff on the Kiawah river between 930 last night and 9 o’clock this morning.

Stradic reels with blue PP braid
Penn reels with yellow PP braid
Blue and Silver tackle bag loaded to the gills - years worth of accumulated tackle

Please shoot me a message if you know anything about this.

I hate a (**() thief.

That sucks… hate a thief x2

Grew up on that island. Kids with millions under the belt are some of the worst… How did they get them? Leave the boat at the landing?

-Regulator 28fs
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

quote:
Originally posted by Island Boy

Grew up on that island. Kids with millions under the belt are some of the worst… How did they get them? Leave the boat at the landing?

-Regulator 28fs
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

Boat stays in the water at a private dock by Rhett’s Bluff landing.

I’d be willing to bet it was someone gigging.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

This kind of reminds me of guns left in cars… other than you can’t shoot people with fishing tackle.

I hope the thief/thieves get caught and prosecuted. I’ve got a couple of tackle boxes with years of accumulated tackle, I would be devastated if Someone stole it because of the sentimental value.

“Why Bruce?”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

This kind of reminds me of guns left in cars… other than you can’t shoot people with fishing tackle.

I hope the thief/thieves get caught and prosecuted. I’ve got a couple of tackle boxes with years of accumulated tackle, I would be devastated if Someone stole it because of the sentimental value.

“Why Bruce?”

While I mostly agree with you, for a charter captain who uses his boat all day every day, and leaves it in the water in a normally secure place, it’s a bit different. Imagine the time and effort involved with one man carrying 9 fishing rods and reels and all the other assorted bits that come with up and down a dock twice a day every day…

Wadmalaw native

quote:

“Why Bruce?”

You beat me to it Fred. If someone hooks another person with the stolen rod, can they sue the charter captain? In all seriousness though, I know it’s not much of a joking matter when someones livelihood is stolen from the boat. I would be willing to bet it was some local kids cruising down the river in a john boat. I know they had that issue a few times down in Hilton Head with kids grabbing offshore rigs off boats at night. I hope they catch the little weasels.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

normally secure place

Found your key word! NORMALLY! :smiley:

It could be secure 99% of the time, but that means that 1 times in 100 it’s going to get “stoled”…

If he is smart, he will get an insurance check and brand new gear.

I feel sorry for the folks that booked a charter with them if they don’t have replacement gear ready to go…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

I feel sorry for the folks that booked a charter with them if they don’t have replacement gear ready to go…

RBF

Lots of us offered up gear to keep him going. Not sure what he’s gonna do.

Skinnee, you’re right, only takes that one time. But in ~15 years this is the first issue…not sure steps he’ll take next time, but I’m sure they’ll be more secure.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth

RBF

Lots of us offered up gear to keep him going. Not sure what he’s gonna do.

Skinnee, you’re right, only takes that one time. But in ~15 years this is the first issue…not sure steps he’ll take next time, but I’m sure they’ll be more secure.

Wadmalaw native

Very kind of you folks…

Never know who might have chartered, it could have been a bucket list item with family, etc. Gear can be replaced, but experiences and memories not so much…

RBF

Those friggin giggers

I doubt it was a gigger or fisherman! Most have to much respect for another mans property. Was wiped out my self at Frip, took stuff out from under house during the night, good luck with the insurance! Mine ain’t worth a dime on fishing tackle! State Farm said, go buy what you need to replace it and we will depreciate and give you a check, I almost had to pay them!

I’m seeing a need for some type of lock to keep your rods/reels onboard. If they catch the bastards, they should be used for crab bait. Dang I hate thieves.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Did said captain attend Rockvul regatta? Perhaps someone saw them on the boat then, and struck him later? Just a thought,as he could have been running a charter at that time far from the regatta.

Had a problem several years back with low-life individuals dumping deer carcasses at an entrance gate. Installed a dummy trail camera on a tree nearby, and a Low Glow flash trail cam that captured the idiots and the vehicle. Don’t know if his dock is capable of concealing a camera, but I’d try, as they very well could return. Hopefully he can catch them.

Also a friend called and said his boat at Ripley Light dry stack got robbed, they cut out his newer Garmin 7612. Sounds like they took items from about 8 boats sometime over the weekend!

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

normally secure place

Found your key word! NORMALLY! :smiley:

It could be secure 99% of the time, but that means that 1 times in 100 it’s going to get “stoled”…

If he is smart, he will get an insurance check and brand new gear.

Normally… me too. My secure place was secure for over 20 years. You just get complacent and comfortable and some worthless piece of human scum blows it out of the water.

From here out get your friend to post “camera in use” signs out add some lighting, and add some inconspicuous game cameras around. Game cameras have really dropped in price and most don’t go through nearly the batteries the old ones did.

Leadenway… that is awesome that you and his friends offered tackle to keep him going.

Skinny… gonna have to be one hellofa insurance claim to replace what was stolen and then unless you bold faced lied, not gonna happen after deductible and old tackle. Sentimental value never flies with insurance companies.

“Why Bruce?”

quote:

“Why Bruce?”

Leaving a boat full of unsecured gear overnight in the water is foolish.

Using your glovebox as a gun cabinet is as dumb as using a bedside table.

Whoever stole your gun was likely a neighbor, just like whoever stole this guy’s gear likely is. It sucks, probably 20 years ago none of your neighbors would’ve thought about breaking into your vehicle…just like this guy never thought his livelihood would be affected. I’m just as guilty as anyone, I’ve left my house unlocked before when I left, but I stopped doing that several years ago. You just can’t trust people like you used to.

Bad thing about years of accumulated tackle is there’s a lot of older discontinued lures that range from tough to impossible to replace. I started handing over boxes of bass tackle to my son when he came home from the Army last year, and I still have a fair amount of stuff left…I can’t imagine how much it would cost to replace it all.

quote:
quote:

“Why Bruce?”

While I mostly agree with you, for a charter captain who uses his boat all day every day, and leaves it in the water in a normally secure place, it’s a bit different. Imagine the time and effort involved with one man carrying 9 fishing rods and reels and all the other assorted bits that come with up and down a dock twice a day every day…

Wadmalaw native

Only 9 rods? Pfft. Sucks to hear about his tackle being stolen hope they find it even though he has already shelled out a pile of money on new stuff I bet.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Those friggin giggers

giggin friggers