Chas county marine tax bills

I have a 2010 yamaha 4 stroke Outboard
last year appraisal was 6900
this year was 6490

my last year 2011 19 ft sea hunt was 15800
this year is 14850

does an outboard depreciate only %500 a year?

where can you look these values up? what does the county use for value?

NADA

Both had basically a 6 percent drop. They are a little different but the city need should depreciate them at slightly different rates. Im no expert but a flat dollar value wouldn’t really make sense.

First, Most, Biggest

Taxes are weird thing. I’m on the marsh with a great view and my taxes are lower than my neighbor across the street whose house isn’t as nice.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

I keep getting a tax bill for 17 bucks on a motor I sold 5 years ago. Have called “the guy” and gone in person to the office and keep getting told all is fixed. Sold it as a pair, the other one is registered.

I’ve sent a change of address twice to DNR and never have receive updated docs with a new address. Feel like I just mailed junk into a black hole. This results in a tax bill from Aiken Co. still since DNR is where they get the tax info/address for for boats and motors.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

I got a bill from the county I live in for “delinquent taxes” on a motor I sold in 2007. Not once from then until now have I ever received a tax notice until now. Now they want a bill of sale. Why would I have that now?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I called the chas county tax people. the woman was very nice. and helpful.
they said our state has a law that BOAT depreciation is 5 % a year, they say chas county allows another 1% for a total go 6% so you can buy a 50,000 yugo boat with 4 force 300 motors and even if the street value tanks to 50% , then that first year it will be worth only 6% less. cause thats the law. as explained to me.
she suggested we contact our state legislators.
If true its not fair to boat owners, but just another way to get tax money.

quote:
Originally posted by edwardh1

I called the chas county tax people. the person was very nice. and helpful.
they said our state has a law that BOAT depreciation is 5 % a year each year , they say chas county allows another 1% for a total go 6% so you can buy a 50,000 yugo boat with 4 force 300 motors and even if the street value tanks to 50% , then that first year it will be worth only 6% less. cause thats the law. as explained to me.
she suggested we contact our state legislators as only they could change it.
If true its not fair to boat owners, but just another way to get tax money.
you would think some boating organization or boat dealers association would take that on.