Chickens, yep, but not the CF type

Hey Fred and others. I mentioned previously about making that fermented chicken feed and they love it!!

I have been feeding them some each evening after work. Last night I noticed the feeder for the dry stuff was empty. Cleaned up and refilled it and today thing is about empty with that stuff scattered everywhere…WTH???

No mash tonight and removed feeder. Eat your mess is my thoughts.

A lot to learn with these yard birds, lol.

Perhaps it’s like some humans…handout the free to them good stuff, then cut it off and they will revolt, hahaha…

NN

1 Like

Chickens aren’t that complicated!!! lol. Have fun! Live is good!

Hang this feeder 6-8" off the ground, they will only be allowed to peck, no scratching, that’s what’s scattering your feed . I purchased a galvanized one 18 years ago, still going.

Plain, store brand yogurt will accomplish the same as that fermented mess you’re mentioning!

If you want to spoil them , cook them Quaker oats, after cooling add several cups of fresh blueberries. The berries will give them that rich, dark yolk you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Dang it!!! I hope to heck my chickens never talk to Y’alls! I do keep them in constant supplies of greens though. I even plant extra turnip and kale to give them through the winter.

What Bolbie said about the suspension of the feeders. Makes all the difference in the world. They’ll still peck it out, but not near as bad as it being on the ground. It also works wonders keeping the water clean.

You ready for a couple of roasters to throw on the yard?

Hello folk’s, suspending water was wise. stays pretty clean now, and will do with feeder I have.

Hey Fred, it’s all good and enjoy them…gonna get one more.

Looks like yours are pretty spoiled!!

Don’t want a noisy rooster, lol.

Thanks folk’s,

NN

So you are getting chickens drunk?

Doug, lol. Can’t let it get to that point from what I’ve read. It will kill em.

NN

yes sir, chickens can not handle alcohol.

My dad told me they had chickens when he was young and they would eat scuppernongs when they fell off the vine. Apparently, they fermented while laying there in the sun so the chickens would get drunk. That was big entertainment back then I guess.

1 Like

I’ve never seen it with chickens, but a couple decades ago I had a bumper crop of big pears. Ton’s of them on the ground with rotten spots in them. My wife called me and said my youngest was crying because her ducks got poisoned and were rolling around, unable to walk and drooling. Couldn’t get home and had my Dad come over and he just laughed and said they were drunk off the fermented pears. Have to find Humor when it’s available sometimes.

It would be free of charge! Let me know what time you want one crowing. I’ve got a 0100, 0230, 0300,0400, and several others that have no set schedule.

Snagged one more chicken today. Ayan Cimani mix. Beautiful chicken.

Put in with the other three, and have a little white and black bullying going on…

NN

Need you a couple guineas. No no no.
The ones with feathers…Guard birds…
Yeah I can make that joke cuz I use one.

If doublN doesn’t want a roaster because it’s too loud. He sure doesn’t want Guinea’s!

Haha y’all, guineas, heck no.

Actually, do people eat them or what?? Also, the new chicken laid a brown egg already. Figured would be to stressed to do that yet…

NN

I’ve eaten a few growing up. Dad liked them. pretty much all dark meat. Comparison would be quail vs dove / chicken vs guinea. or something like that. Biggest thing with a guinea is for bugs and yard dog status. They alert on most anything different in their territory. See em grouped together in the yard and making a noise, several times it’s been a snake.

Getting. a new addition tomorrow…what I get myself talked into, lol.

You got a lawn mower.
Need another one to keep it company.

I seen this on dirtiest jobs years ago. Still to this day. If I see a pasture of goats I stopped blow the horn and rev up the engine.
Still have never seen a goat faint.

Your gonna have a blast! Those things can have so much character! Nanny or Billy? If a Billy get it banned or else you’ll have one stinky goat. The males will Pee all over their “beard” and face if you don’t. Unless you are wanting to breed some.

This is my daughters, used to run around and play with the dogs and chase the chickens.

Here is one of her Tea Tiny Bantom hens (Serama) that hatched a caller duck for her. You ought to see the roasters in this breed… talk about little man syndrome!

Bantom , Game, and layer eggs comparison.

Is it Stump Broke yet?

If not, you might reach out to RBF?

I hear he’s the Master at Stump Breaking them!