chimney sweep/fireplace repair guy

damage to a firebox panel on my woodburning fireplace…need an expert opinion on possible replacement…couple of good references come up on an interweb search…who have you used before? anybody replaced a panel yourself? hardest part looks like it might be cutting the panel itself…but obviously can’t afford to sacrifice anything for safety…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

You can order new panels to install. I thought that was what I was getting when I paid almost $200 for this same type of repair. What ended up being installed was a thin sheet of steel that was spray painted black. Used self tapping screws(the second time) to fasten it to the inside wall. In your industry you could probably get the steel cut and do it yourself for about $0.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

You can order new panels to install. I thought that was what I was getting when I paid almost $200 for this same type of repair. What ended up being installed was a thin sheet of steel that was spray painted black. Used self tapping screws(the second time) to fasten it to the inside wall. In your industry you could probably get the steel cut and do it yourself for about $0.

hmmm…my existing panels look to be some type of concrete material…I’ve got access to a quickie saw and can cut to size, but I have no idea what to expect when I take the cracked panel out…if it turns out to be simple sheetmetal then yes, I could have my guys cut me a piece…

Sounds to me you are talking “■■■■■■■■■”, if so, this may help…
http://www.ehow.com/how_12173998_replace-■■■■■■■■■-panels-fireplace.html

Don’t take it out and put up the new piece over the top of your broken one

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

Can you caulk the crack with a special caulk for fire brick?

People will forget what you said…
People will forget what you did…
But people will never forget how you made them feel.

quote:
Originally posted by JustinTime

Can you caulk the crack with a special caulk for fire brick?

this could be an option, thanks…

http://www.aremco.com/ceramic-metallic-pastes/

Just an idea of what’s out there! Don’t have any knowledge of the cost, but a man of your means, should have it in your petty cash:wink: