choosing truck tire size - down grading ?

I have an 04 dodge ram 4*4 off road that is a driveway queen with 100k miles on it. I use it to tow the boat and drive to the hunt club.

Currently I have Netto terra graplers in 285/70/R17 the truck came with 275/70/R17 and most dodges of that time came with 265/70/R17.

Any one think going to a Thinner with tire would matter much? I don’t need off road tires and the smaller tires are 70 dollars cheaper a tire. I’m also thinking the thinner tire would get better MPG? spending a grand on tires for a old truck is hard to get over. thoughts appreciated.

run as skinny of a tire as you can, that doesnt make it look goofy. you’ll spend less on tires and less at the pump. that small of a change wont make that much of a difference on suspension, but when you see those guys with 15 inch wides tires, theyre killing their balls joints and other connective parts.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

appreciate the ■■■■■■■■.

The day my Skinny truck tires are the goofiest things in my life I’ll be doing alright.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

run as skinny of a tire as you can, that doesnt make it look goofy. you’ll spend less on tires and less at the pump. that small of a change wont make that much of a difference on suspension, but when you see those guys with 15 inch wides tires, theyre killing their balls joints and other connective parts.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

What he said! Just think of leverage. All those trucks with the super wide mudders are giving the suspension immortal heck. The skinner tires have less surface drag and make sure to keep them at maximum rated inflation.