Cobia on the fly

For whatever reason I while I was watching some fly tying videos, I came across some Cobia flies and developed an itch to catch a Cobia on the fly. I generally think of Cobia as a springtime fish found around bridges and other structure. Other than that I really dont have much knowledge about the fish. Does anyone here have any experience catching Cobia on the fly or just in general? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cobia are definitely a spring fishery for us here… minus the odd fish that will show up on an offshore reef or something during the summer months. So typically late march through early June is prime season for cobia off of our coast. You will need access to a boat that is large enough to run offshore as that is where you will get most shots at these fish… either around structure (on the surface, or on the bottom) such as reefs, bouys, etc… or you can sometimes find them just cruising on the surface around color changes or weed lines…

Used to be that you could go down to the broad river and find them cruising on the surface of the river, which allowed you to do it from a flats or bay boat… but that is slim pickings these days. It can still be done, but unless you have alot of time to put in looking for them it will probably not be that productive.

As for flies… well lets just say they arent that picky… either they will eat or they wont… and sometimes they just wont… but usually if you put something in front of them they will eat it…

Have fun

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

Thanks for the info Mike. Always good to hear your advice.