Comanche 7/15

So we got beat up pretty good heading out Saturday. Ran out to the Comanche to try some bottom fishing. I would consider this my first real offshore trip in my own boat. I’ve only previously been out in it to the Charleston 60 and Edisto 60. It’s definitely been a learning experience. We did not have a whole lot of luck as we had anchoring issues. You can see my thread on the topic in the discussion forum. We tried drifting, but the current and wind was blowing so hard, we probably would have needed 1 lb weights to keep the bait down. But it was not a total loss. Ended up catching my first AJ. That was definitely a blast. Hopefully this is just the start of many trips offshore!

Keep at it and you will get it done. If you are looking to anchor, and keep your anchor, try live bottom.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

We looked at the Reefcast and saw that the wind was going to be blowing 15+ from the SW. We called off our trip. The Warden and I wanted to see what our Grady would do so we took it to the Nearshore. That was rough enough…boat did great except for the anchor getting cut off while trying to pull it up on the anchor ball.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

May God go with you.

You will learn how to drift with your motor in those conditions. I don’t like to anchor in a bunch of wind. Finding your drift and kicking it into reverse a bunch helps. You must however have a great boat handler.

Better have a closed transom if you put it in reverse a lot!

good word boatpoor. i lost both my transom flap valves last trip while in reverse. it amazing how much water will back up those tubes for the self bailing decks. before you knew it we had water all over the deck, not a good feeling 30-40 miles offshore.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

Did ya’ll ever see the video of a big sporty backing down and took a big swell and sunk in a few seconds? I’ll see if I can find it!

the one in panama?

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

quote:
Originally posted by FrivolousShrimp we probably would have needed 1 lb weights to keep the bait down.

When we pour lead for offshore, I primarily to 10, 12, and 16 ounces. If you plan to bottom fish offshore, you’ll find you need bigger and bigger lead. 6 ounces doesn’t do it most of the time, especially if you are drifting.

On a side note, what year is that 236 and how does that Suzuki perform? I had a 236 for 11 years and loved it. Had the Yamaha 225 and we could troll all day on about 65-75 gallons.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

good word boatpoor. i lost both my transom flap valves last trip while in reverse. it amazing how much water will back up those tubes for the self bailing decks. before you knew it we had water all over the deck, not a good feeling 30-40 miles offshore.

I guess Sailfish thought about this for a minute before they put in the scuppers. They drain out the sides instead of out the back. I had never thought about how this might be a smart design feature until I saw your comment.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

When we pour lead for offshore, I primarily to 10, 12, and 16 ounces. If you plan to bottom fish offshore, you’ll find you need bigger and bigger lead. 6 ounces doesn’t do it most of the time, especially if you are drifting.

I need to get some molds and start pouring my own. Coming from freshwater fishing in Michigan and Canada, we never had to use very heavy weights. At most, you’d spend a few dollars for a seasons worth. I had no idea how expensive it could get until I started buying 8oz weights for fishing offshore here.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

On a side note, what year is that 236 and how does that Suzuki perform? I had a 236 for 11 years and loved it. Had the Yamaha 225 and we could troll all day on about 65-75 gallons.

The Sailfish is a 2003. The boat is great, really enjoying it. My one friend was commenting on how w

I’ll also confirm the ride is nice most of the time and the trim tabs help a lot. It is just those rogue waves that make a passenger look around to be sure they are still on the boat.

REEF ANCHORS!

-Charleston