Commercial Ice Maker?

Icemakers, elevators, man, you 1%er’s have a lot of problems to deal with.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Aren’t most VE zones near oceanfront? Isn’t that kind of like complaining that a Ferrari gets 7 MPG?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I believe he said he is building on Folly Beach.

quote:

Aren’t most VE zones near oceanfront? Isn’t that kind of like complaining that a Ferrari gets 7 MPG?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Stono River... West Ashley side...

Yeah, I shouldn’t complain about BEING FORCED to spend $2700 per year to insure a $17,000 elevator that I would like to have installed for my handicapped mother with double knee replacement surgery…

If I wasn’t FORCED to pay it, I would not insure it. Because, if there was a flood coming, I would be smart enough to park the elevator upstairs…

It’s a total ripoff!!! I’m literally building 4 feet ABOVE the highest watermark for Hurricane Hugo… Flood insurance should be way cheaper… I’m subsidizing people near the water who are sitting on slab…

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13
quote:

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I believe he said he is building on Folly Beach.

Live near folly now… Building in WA…

It’s not about the cost of replacing the elevator in a flood, it’s the shaft obstruction that puts the rest of the house in jeopardy during a surge.

Someone has to have come up with a design that puts equipment above 1st floor, incorporates breakaway walls, etc. that could get around this premium.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Check with Mike over at Besingers barbecue, I seem to think he had a machine for sale recently

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

stonoman throws one to the curb every few years so it seems

quote:

It’s not about the cost of replacing the elevator in a flood, it’s the shaft obstruction that puts the rest of the house in jeopardy during a surge.

Someone has to have come up with a design that puts equipment above 1st floor, incorporates breakaway walls, etc. that could get around this premium.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

You can put the equipment on any floor you want. It's literally just the shaft. You could easily make breakaway walls, but I think it has to be "40% open" (i.e. louvres). I've been told that this wouldn't pass elevator inspection, but I am not sure who to call...
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

You can put the equipment on any floor you want. It's literally just the shaft. You could easily make breakaway walls, but I think it has to be "40% open" (i.e. louvres). I've been told that this wouldn't pass elevator inspection, but I am not sure who to call...

We have installed several elevators beachfront and in velocity zones. You can easily make a cmu shaft to first floor that meets the flood requirements. After a storm you have to pump out the pit and you are good to go again.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

But is it an “enclosure”?

Yes it is an enclosure if it is a V zone. But what I think may be happening with you is they are calculating your first floor below BFE, and you are getting hit. If the shaft is for egress only, is less than 299 sf and you don’t have any equipment or machinery below BFE the premium should only go up enough to cover the cost of the elevator and shaft. Not a load factor on the whole structure. You might want to investigate this a little deeper.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

You can absolutely build a shaft that meets flood requirements. Most residential cars carry weight with track on just one wall essentially leaving the other 3 sides to meet flood requirements. The other 3 sides don’t carry direct loads, they are simply guides.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Do you guys have a flood certificate that is filled out “correctly”? Basically the insurance was calculated from the flood certificate. I’m pretty sure that my insurance guy called FEMA. Elevator shaft is only like 5x5, so well under 299 sf.

A new machine with a 250 head which will make 250lbs in 24hrs and a 500lb bin would be about $ 2500-3500 depending on which bin you get
either stainless or plastic !!!

Buy a chest freezer then go,to dollar general and pick up about 200 plastic ice trays. Have your wife refill them while your gone fishing

7 cf chest freezer, two standard ice makers (the rotary kind you see in every freezer) mounted opposing (front wall/ back wall opposite side from motor) and a little plumbing /wiring. It will take all week to fill but you will only have maybe 300.00 invested.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

SJ, probably already brought up. Had a new Ac unit installed to getaway place and had a Honeywell 8000 thermostat installed with Wi-Fi connection.

Absolutely love being able to control from phone while away. Not a single problem thus far.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

You Can Get A Lift Instead of an elevator.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Do you guys have a flood certificate that is filled out “correctly”? Basically the insurance was calculated from the flood certificate. I’m pretty sure that my insurance guy called FEMA. Elevator shaft is only like 5x5, so well under 299 sf.

Your flood cert is calculated by how the building is constructed. If you make the shaft an enclosure, it is calculated as such on your flood cert. The way the shaft is constructed is what’s important here.

Ofm, do you have more detail or specs you could point to? How do I communicate to my builder how to do this and still pass code?