Commercial Ice Maker?

Your engineer or elevator company should be able to provide plans for a shaft that meets flood the same way your foundation walls do. It’s all about open, clear space. Essentially it is 1 square inch of vents or open space for floods for every square foot of floor space.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

http://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1511-20490-2212/fema_tb_4_rev.txt

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

quote:
Originally posted by on a fishin mission

http://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1511-20490-2212/fema_tb_4_rev.txt

I’ve seen that one before… Note:

“For building risks located in Flood Zones VE and V1-V30, elevator enclosures/shafts whose walls surround the elevator car are always considered a building enclosure or an obstruction. The rates for those buildings with elevator enclosures/shafts that exceed 299 square feet in size, with breakaway walls, are subject to an insurance rate loading factor to be added to the overall base rate. The amount of the insurance rate loading depends on (1) the actual square footage of the elevator enclosure/shaft, (2) the value of the machinery/equipment servicing the elevator, and (3) the elevation of the enclosure and machinery/equipment in relation to the BFE. The elevator rate loading could amount to a substantial increase in the base building insurance rate for buildings located in the V Zones.”

So, there is a line on the Flood certificate called “Building Diagram Number”… See descriptions here:

https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1731-25045-2897/f_441_lfg_07_09.txt

The two that come into play:

BUILDING DIAGRAM #5
Distinguishing Feature: The area below the elevated floor is open, with no obstruction to flow of floodwaters (open lattice work and/or insect screening is permissible).
Lowest Floor for Rating: Lowest elevated floor
Elevation Needed for Rating from FEMA Elevation Certificate: Item C2.a
All buildings elevated on piers, posts, piles, columns, or parallel shear walls. No obstructions below the elevated floor.

BUILDING DIAGRAM #6
Distinguishing Feature: The area below the elevated

whose walls surround the elevator car are always considered a building enclosure or an obstruction.

You can build a shaft the does not fully surround the car. Most residential elevators are carried by one wall and only need guides for the remaining walls.

http://www.house-design-coffee.com/residential-elevators.html

Check out the designs of the top 2, hey give you a general idea what the track looks like. With a top mount motor you do not need a full shaft to the first floor.

2 story ice maker with elevator? Makes just the right amount of ice for a Charleston bottom trip.

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

So, I called the surveyor who did the flood certificate and negotiated with him a bit on what “obstruction” means… To make a long story short, I think we can get away with “breakaway” walls here. I called the city inspector and they said it would pass code. Really just need to find out from the manufacturer of the elevator the best way to install with the least footprint in the flood zone.

Thanks for the help OFM. I probably wouldn’t not have looked deeper into it after I was told “no” the first time, but your persistence caused me to take another look and I’ll probably be able to find a solution now. Much appreciated! Props to you!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Blue_Runner

2 story ice maker with elevator? Makes just the right amount of ice for a Charleston bottom trip.

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

That's the idea!!! I spend about $50 in ice on each fishing trip. That's not to mention the "time" factor it takes to stop and get ice. With 10 trips a year, a $2000 ice maker would pay for itself (roughly) in 4 years. That doesn't count the other uses (parties, dove hunting, icing fish on return from trip, inshore trips, etc.)

I sold Hoshizaki ice machines for a long time. Far and away they are the most dependable! The pumps are pricey , but rebuild able . They are sensitive to the incoming water temp - and that will decrease production if the water is over 85* For the most part , the parts that are most often replaced are water filters and rubber tubing. Its not a bad idea to install a large water filter on the water line before it enters the head. Clean water is the life of the pump! There are lots of used parts around. A 250 head on a 500lb bin will work well . If you know your not going to need ice - un plug the unit! The 250 head plugs in to a wall outlet , but it needs to be on a dedicated 30a breaker. The 500 lb head requires 3 phase 50a and you will know it when you get your power bill. Be sure to keep the condensing coil and air filter clean

I was thinking about going with a smaller bin, and just bag it and throw it into a chest freezer next to it. Those chest freezers are pretty cheap and the ice would be frozen solid when it’s “go time”. Then maybe cut off the ice maker during the months that I was not fishing or until I empty out the chest freezer.

unless 3-phase is already available at the street it would be quite expensive and maybe not possible

if it was at the street you would pay for the cost to have it brought to the house

standard service is free, 3-phase is not standard service

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

So, I called the surveyor who did the flood certificate and negotiated with him a bit on what “obstruction” means… To make a long story short, I think we can get away with “breakaway” walls here. I called the city inspector and they said it would pass code. Really just need to find out from the manufacturer of the elevator the best way to install with the least footprint in the flood zone.

Thanks for the help OFM. I probably wouldn’t not have looked deeper into it after I was told “no” the first time, but your persistence caused me to take another look and I’ll probably be able to find a solution now. Much appreciated! Props to you!!!

Hope it works out for ya!

quote:

I was thinking about going with a smaller bin, and just bag it and throw it into a chest freezer next to it. Those chest freezers are pretty cheap and the ice would be frozen solid when it’s “go time”. Then maybe cut off the ice maker during the months that I was not fishing or until I empty out the chest freezer.

A buddy bags his and puts it in a chest freezer too. Its an open door policy on his ice too but you have to re bag what you take or you loose your key to the shed. :smiley: He got a 1000 bags from amazon for cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

unless 3-phase is already available at the street it would be quite expensive and maybe not possible

if it was at the street you would pay for the cost to have it brought to the house

Pioneer 197SF

What is 3-phase?

3 phase is used in commercial applications. It brings in more voltage and amps. Typically 3 phase is 277/480 or higher where single phase is 120/240.

quote:

3 phase is used in commercial applications. It brings in more voltage and amps. Typically 3 phase is 277/480 or higher where single phase is 120/240.

Seems that there are plenty of commercial ice makers that only require 120V. I’m assuiming that Blueskyguy is referring to very large ones that have extra voltage requirements?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

Pioneer 197SF

What is 3-phase?
A lot more $

quote:

DING DING, we have a winner!!!

quote:
quote:

Seems that there are plenty of commercial ice makers that only require 120V. I’m assuiming that Blueskyguy is referring to very large ones that have extra voltage requirements?

I was responding to a prior comment about buying one, possibly used, that required 3-phase service. My info was meant to inform that buying an inexpensive machine that requires 3-phase may not be a good choice. You have both 120V and 220V service at your house but not 3-phase.

Pioneer 197SF

Ice machines either come in 115 volt or 208/230 volt !!