Compressor Problem

I have one of those Porter-Cable Jetstream, 2hp, 6 gal, 150 PSI pancake compressors. It has an “auto-off” feature on it but lately it just continues to run and will only get up to 80 psi. I cannot hear any leaks and am stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like a pin hole somewhere, or the rings in the compressor are shot. Get a spray bottle with soapy water and start checking.

Probably more than a pin hole to only let it build to 80psi

Take off the filter and while running try spraying some penetrating oil in the air intake. worth a shot.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I should have said that it will hold at 80 psi without losing pressure but just won’t go higher than that and won’t shut off automatically.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Change the oil in the compressor. Amazing how this simple process will improve compression.

ZX

quote:
Originally posted by tanksgt

Change the oil in the compressor. Amazing how this simple process will improve compression.

ZX

that is if it has any… a lot of the newer smaller compressors don’t carry oil just a matter of time before the give up the ghost.

But you are right! a much neglected thing.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

DF , remind me to stay away from you until you get things straightened out , Here lately you have been having more problems than a one armed wallpaper hanger . Hope things gets better .

My porter-cable has been running for over 12 years with moderate use but I don’t remember the model # . I think they are throw away critters , they sell more that way .

It is has no oil so not that. It has run fine until lately, was hoping it was something I had overlooked as I simply didn’t want to buy a new one right now. I got 10+ years out of it, I guess that is all I should expect.

You have no idea Fishingpox, you have no idea. They say the Lord won’t put more on you than you can take but I believe I am about at that point.

Thanks for all the input guys.

[quote]

You have no idea Fishingpox, you have no idea. They say the Lord won’t put more on you than you can take but I believe I am about at that point.

Doug , That’s when the Lord steps in sometimes . Right at one’s breaking point , to show people He is in control . Saying a prayer for ya now bud

Doug, whatever your problems, I’ll help you anyway I can. We’ve been having a rough time here too.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Not entirely sure of yours but some of those compressors have carbon vanes and do not require oil changes and will lose some of their ability to build pressure , we used those oiless types quite a lot in the printing industry !!!

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Doug, a buddy of mine has one that can be had for cheap if you don’t get yours working.

Keep me posted.

Good Luck,
NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Didn’t mean to come here and whine, just seems like I’m riding a rough road right now. It will get better, it always does. Thank you everyone, especially you Larry. You all are some fine people.

As for the compressor, it has probably just outlived it;s usefulness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

RBF

“Them that can brag without lying, let them brag.”

If you got 10 years out of it, you did pretty good. The last one I had lasted less than a month. The repair shops won’t even work on them here in Charleston. They cost more to repair than they cost new in most cases.
Hope everything works out for ya, Df!

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson