Congaree Hero, who are you? I wanna fish with ya.

Saturday morning I was wade fishing (barely wade fishing like 6 feet off the bank due to CFS) below Gervais St. and as we walked to change spots, with the river raging and freezing, and no rocks showing. A person comes drifting in the water under Gervais St. Bridge in THE VERY MIDDLE. “is that a PERSON?!” my friend said. It was. Flailing, no kayak, nothing. He was going all the way under, and losing it quickly. Just as I went to hit send on 911, a boat shows up and pulls him out. I met the boat man on shore and helped him tie up to a tree and the only question the kid (in shock and hypothermic) would answer was “Yes, ambulance please.” I dunno if he jumped off a bridge or got drunk and slipped in, but man whoever you are…you are a hero. If it wouldve been me online with 911, he probably wouldnt have gotten out. If I wouldve tried to reach him, they would have been pulling 2 bodies out. Man in the boat, if you are reading this…I wanna fish with ya. You were cool, calm, and collected. If you woulda had an extra helping of breakfast or stopped to get gas, this kid would have not made it. Very glad you were there. I wanna buy ya a beer. I wouldve have done everything i could have from shore, and it wouldnt have been enough.

It wasn’t me, but I have pulled out boaters in the Saluda before. And I’ve had my share of close calls. Glad somebody was there to prevent a tragic situation.

good on you too!

No matter how many variables I have control over, I never expect a bite. I only hope.