Congaree Thursday Evening

Ain’t got the boat ready yet, but I have a few days off and wanted to wet a line. The recent threads on here got me thinking about the Congaree, which I havent fished in about 20 years,so I decided to give it a try from the kayak.

Between the wind and the current, the conditions were pretty tough and just drifting I was hauling azz. Took a while to get anchored, but I final did. Only wound up boating 2 about 24" and missing 2 others. All 4 hit a 3/4 oz white bucktail.

Highlight of the trip was one that I saw hit right at the boat as I was retrieving it back to re-cast…snatched it and ran right under the kayak to the other side and had the rod bent almost 180, then ran a bit before it pulled loose. #128544;

I fish from a kayak also. Did you launch at Bate’s Landing on 601? I’ve often wondered haw hard it would be to kayak in that current.

quote:
Originally posted by hjohnson101

I fish from a kayak also. Did you launch at Bate’s Landing on 601? I’ve often wondered haw hard it would be to kayak in that current.

Nah, I had put in Rosewood Dr in Cola. The paved boat ramp was tied up as there were a lot of people waiting on it, so I put in right along side of it, which was soft muck. Had to reach down about 8" into it to get my flip flops back. LOL

A bit messy, but wasn’t too bad.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Thanks. I live in Charleston but would like to explore the Congaree while the striper bite is on.

Been looking at river flows on the Congaree at Columbia. What’s a safe and ideal flow rate to fish from a kayak? Would need to launch and pull out at Rosewood.
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by hjohnson101

Been looking at river flows on the Congaree at Columbia. What’s a safe and ideal flow rate to fish from a kayak? Would need to launch and pull out at Rosewood.
Thanks

I normally fish the Saluda when fishing from the kayak, so I’m really not sure. I did go to back last eve after work (got 3) and it was about 8k when i got there. Not too awful bad to paddle against, but a bit too fast to fish just drifting back down.

Be sure to have a good anchor to hold you on rocks. I just went up and dropped anchor, fished a bit, then just drifted back a bit and dropped it again.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Thanks for the tips.