COPS/Live PD

I enjoy watching these shows, just to see some of the dumba$$ things suspects do. One thing that really aggravates me is that most of the LEO’s aren’t wearing their seat belts. I see this quite a bit while I’m driving as well. Why can’t I pull them over and say something? I called Lexington County one time, to complain and to ask if I could say something to an officer if I saw it. They told me “That probably wouldn’t be a good idea.” “Why not?” I asked “They are breaking the law!” The lady told me that she wouldn’t advise doing it. Sounds like a double standard to me.

Happy Bob - and We see the LEO’S ( WHICH I FULLY SUPPORT ) not only texting which is against the law while driving but also typing on their computers while driving. I would think that is against the law also. Just sayin!

SAKATUMI TRAE

I like that show too. Sometimes it’s very entertaining, sometimes not so much. Seems like there is a little aggressiveness stopping some of the people. I wonder if any of that is for the camera?

They never have a camera with a cop who is patrolling nice white areas in the 'burbs though? It’s always in the hood. They know what sells and where to find it.

I can’t speak for every LEOs Bob but, I wear mine ALL THE TIME and I do not text and drive. My boss has gotten peeved at me for not responding quickly to a text and I simply told him I was driving. We are not only prohibited by law, our dept policy forbids it. I don’t do it with my personal phone in my own car. I have to say, wearing body armor, you do not feel the seat belt and a few times in my career, I have started to get out before taking off my belt. I 'm a slow learner.

My kids watch LivePD, me, I’ve “seen” it too many times.

The thing I hate most about it is that it makes this area look really bad. The truth is, you’d see the same thing in any metropolitan area but it still just looks bad.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy They never have a camera with a cop who is patrolling nice white areas in the 'burbs though? It's always in the hood. They know what sells and where to find it.

I would imagine they go where they can find the most action. Patrolling a nice area in the suburbs is likely not going to be very entertaining on TV.

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

I like that show too. Sometimes it’s very entertaining, sometimes not so much. Seems like there is a little aggressiveness stopping some of the people. I wonder if any of that is for the camera?

They never have a camera with a cop who is patrolling nice white areas in the 'burbs though? It’s always in the hood. They know what sells and where to find it.

Are people more likely to fish where they’ve had success before, or where they might get a bite?..

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

Exactly. It’s a little sad. Even though the poor areas are where street crimes are, it’s a little sad they are sought out for entertainment purposes.

I respect LEO’s and really do appreciate the work they do. You couldn’t pay me enough to do their job. But it just bothers the crap out of me when I see them not wearing seat belts, on the phone, not using turn signals, and speeding for no reason. I have seen them, on more than one occasion, light up the blue lights to get through a red light, only to pull into the Taco Bell or McDonalds on the other side of the intersection & go in to eat.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

quote:
Originally posted by Happy Bob

I respect LEO’s and really do appreciate the work they do. You couldn’t pay me enough to do their job. But it just bothers the crap out of me when I see them not wearing seat belts, on the phone, not using turn signals, and speeding for no reason. I have seen them, on more than one occasion, light up the blue lights to get through a red light, only to pull into the Taco Bell or McDonalds on the other side of the intersection & go in to eat.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-4069
Custom Aluminum Fabrication

I agree, I feel they should hold themselves to a higher standard. A lot do. It’s the rotten apples that give the rest a bad rap.

Kind of like a priest that strays, a Doctor that doesn’t care, or a school teacher that abuses a student.

Just to clarify a few things…

Most do take off their seat belts while “slow patrolling” through neighborhoods and the like, in case they need to exit the car quickly, which is a lot of what you see on these shows.
Like SurfFish said, affluent neighborhoods are normally “boring” in a TV sense, no one wants to watch Janice complain because someone left their boat in the driveway against HOA rules.
The “typing” you see on the computers while driving is 95% of the time the officer trying to read/scroll through call notes on the way to the scene so they have an idea of what they’re going to. Not a perfect system, but that’s out of their hands.
MANY times that you see an officer speeding and cutting their lights on just to clear intersections, again not necessarily covering for them, are responding to a call, majority of police responses are not with lights/sirens which is the opposite of Fire/EMS.
As far as the running code to Mcdonalds, I can assure you there was more to the story, no officer is going to risk his career for a big mac. They were probably responding to a call within the business or were subsequently cancelled from their original call and were back in service. This is the same reason that it’s not uncommon to see an ambulance or fire truck randomly cut off their lights and pull back into the normal traffic pattern or pull into a random parking lot.

As far as the texting and turn signals, that’s on them.

What irks me - and I see this lots : an officer flying past me so fast that it shakes my truck - to get to a 2 car wreck up the road where there is already a fire truck, ambulance, and 5 patrol cars and a bunch of cops just standing around - What was that last LEO’s rush?

quote:
Originally posted by Epi

Just to clarify a few things…

Most do take off their seat belts while “slow patrolling” through neighborhoods and the like, in case they need to exit the car quickly, which is a lot of what you see on these shows.
Like SurfFish said, affluent neighborhoods are normally “boring” in a TV sense, no one wants to watch Janice complain because someone left their boat in the driveway against HOA rules.
The “typing” you see on the computers while driving is 95% of the time the officer trying to read/scroll through call notes on the way to the scene so they have an idea of what they’re going to. Not a perfect system, but that’s out of their hands.
MANY times that you see an officer speeding and cutting their lights on just to clear intersections, again not necessarily covering for them, are responding to a call, majority of police responses are not with lights/sirens which is the opposite of Fire/EMS.
As far as the running code to Mcdonalds, I can assure you there was more to the story, no officer is going to risk his career for a big mac.</font id=“red”> They were probably responding to a call within the business or were subsequently cancelled from their original call and were back in service. This is the same reason that it’s not uncommon to see an ambulance or fire truck randomly cut off their lights and pull back into the normal traffic pattern or pull into a random parking lot.

As far as the texting and turn signals, that’s on them.

I was sitting in the Taco Bell at the time. He lit it up at the red light, quick blast with the siren, into the parking lot, and walked in. He was a state trooper. There was one trooper already eating in the Taco Bell. So apparently he wasn’t that concerned about what he had done.

Bob Van Gundy
803-727-

Shenanigans, Meow…

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

What irks me - and I see this lots : an officer flying past me so fast that it shakes my truck - to get to a 2 car wreck up the road where there is already a fire truck, ambulance, and 5 patrol cars and a bunch of cops just standing around - What was that last LEO’s rush?

he was afraid all the doughnuts would be gone before he got there?