Cost for mulching forrest area

EF, Dayum on the tractor accident you had. Glad you made it, I bet you are still feeling it… Try the CBD oil.

Anyway, bought tractor today, and being delivered tomorrow. Box blade, Rotary cutter, Front end loader, Disc harrow and rake(whatever you wanna call it, lol)

Gotta wait till mid may for rotary and rake. He thinks can get the disc harrow from another dealer so don’t have to wait to long.

Will see, as the Supply Chain issues continue…

Later guys,
NN

Thats awesome, I am envious of the new property.

Fred made a good point about the ripper plow or chisel plow. If it were me that would be what I’d keep an eye out for. You need a way to pull up roots and clods and separate them somewhat so that the disc is effective. Otherwise you might find that the disc is riding over stuff, adding some weight will help when appropriate.

Looking forward to the pics and updates

Will do EF.

Gotta tell y’all this, it’s pretty cool.

So I told a coworker about the land and where it was. He mentioned a guy he knows from church that bought a chunk right up the road. Told me he trains dogs (German Sheppards) for security. Drug, bomb etc.Has contracts with military, Plant Vogtle(nuke plant), Augusta National(Masters) and more.

Yesterday when we were actually at entrance finishing up doing driveway I was sitting in the side by side and truck pulls up and I notice the K9 emblem on his truck and he pulls over in front of my truck and gets out walking toward us. I knew had to be him, and it was. Introduced myself and told him about coworker mentioning him. So we get talking about the area with me mentioning poachers along with things most folks would be worried about. He says he knows everyone around there and no worries. Introduced him to the guy doing the mulching and they both know a young lady that turns out to be a dog handler employed by him. He stated one of the dogs has been in like five movies…Cool.

Then he goes on to ask me if have to leave. I’m like no, so he says let me ride in the side x side and I will show you my property.
He bought 80 plus about to close another 45 with just 50 between us. So, off we go and I’m telling him about plans for building, tractor, Blah, Blah, Blah. So we get on his land and he introduces me to his son.

Cool, then he strats showing me pics of big bobcat and Yotes along with hogs. Then he says his buddy Brian has another 80 acres that are that makes up over 200 acres and tells me to kill all of them I want. Hunt it anytime.

Perhaps I missed something, and I know it was long winded, but folks like that don’t grow on trees.

A little side note, some rich dude from Florida wanted to buy the 50 and the 45, clear cut, build pad for his helicopter, along with huge some on the high spot.

Feeling pretty blessed,
NN

Sounds like you made a good purchase!! Just remember Rome wasn’t built in a Day.

When you get away from the city, there are more people like this than you’d think. Bet he doesn’t like the present Political Administration. When you mentioned the Florida guy coming in, that’s what would spook me. I’ve had too many run ins with Florida Hunters that were not pleasant. From my experience those guys don’t see spots and will down a 40# fawn with no problem and do not understand property lines. Hopefully just my experience and nothing like this for you!

Happy for you with the land. &
Good neighbors is just a great bonus.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Thanks, OTC.

Tractor delivered, Amen.

Posting a link just below that is the guy that drove up that does the dog training. If you care to check it out, it’s pretty cool stuff. His name is Matt. Ex military.

https://www.qk9c.com/staff

NN

that is impressive!! Old boy has a serious training school.

Yes he does, Fred.

Just got in after going back and forth delivering stuff to the land. Snagged some fence posts, couple 10’ gates and some trees. One each of Apple, Peach, Pear and a Meyers lemon that are now in the ground surrounded with galvanized wire 5’ tall, and mulch. took many gallons of water as well. Put out corn in couple spots had cleared with two of those wireless cameras watching.

Also, you mentioned not using the teeth on box blade for roots in and area that was just mulched… I looked up some some stuff on the web, and you were correct.
Many have destroyed there prized box blade doing so. Kudos, sir!

I would like to plant some blueberries, but the deer would tear them up I assume??? If so, not gonna battle that.

Hey, have to mention this. I know a couple folks catching hogs with some fancy setups, pricey too. They have metal surrounding with those electronic gate they can trigger from their phone to close when their camera sees or has what they want in the pen.

Last week a guy at work showed me something cool y’all may not have heard of. It’s called Pig Brig and how it works is the hogs root under it to get to bait, then the cloth or whatever it’s made of falls down and can’t figure out how to get out. Check it out if you care too.

Gotta go, but just got a pic of a bobcat.

NN

On the Blueberries, go for it! Of all the crap deer eat of mine, they leave my blueberries alone. The secret to getting a good crop is to plant enough for you and the birds. Sadly I’ll be lucky this year if I get 5% due to the last cold freeze. Worried about a lot of our Live oaks, many have not put back out from it. Here is a pic of what I call a Disk/tiller bottom Plow. You need a man of a tractor to pull it, but it will demolish roots and even some of the smaller stumps, many use it to cut a fire lane for burning, the other pick is a cultivating rack, it too is a very useful tool. You can run it over new ground after disking to drag up roots. It also fine finishes a rock road better than a box blade IMO.

If you notice the red bush hog, it is an offset model, works really good for ditches. I told dad once that I wanted a tractor hooked to every implement so I never had to change one out. Still working on that one.

I haven’t seen one for sale or in a auction in a good while but I found this one on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154867959838?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=154867959838&targetid=1262749492782&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9010542&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1262749492782&abcId=9300678&merchantid=113781921&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvLOTBhCJARIsACVldV2swR9cngUcNGMFVFWTkXEGjjvS65YILU7j5hi9p6uCG3P7AyGEaxwaAv6mEALw_wcB

My blueberry bush is loaded down this year. My wife has a very fine mesh net she throws over it. We have several bird feeders and I believe every bird in a 10 mile radius comes to my house everyday. Working out of town last year did not get it covered. I never got a blueberry pie and only had a few blueberry muffins. Already have it covered. It looks as I should get plenty of blueberry pies and muffins this year.
And no blue poop all over the vehicles.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

You got some cool implements, Fred.

I’ll grab some blueberries and give it a shot. Camersas sent couple pics of bobcat, 1 yote and some does.

Good idea on some mesh, ya know where she got it?? Probably something on Amazon I can get.

Ricky, took your advice and got 4 traps from Cabela’s today. It was a package deal with 4 Bridger 1.75’s. Actually for bobcats and a bit small for yotes. Came with some bobcat lures and rod for embedding the stake.

Anyway, work in progress. And Thanks for mentioning.

Thanks

NN

1 Like

fabric department.
I think she got it from Walmart .
hobby lobby .
Or Amazon.
It’s called talle. I think
It’s the material they use for tutus.
She gets the 54" rolls and then she drapes it over the bushes and then puts the sections together with clothespins.

22 life’s a day

well fella’s, I bought what his called a subsoiler. Frontier PS1001. Pretty heavy duty, its appears, so hope I don’t bend it up…

I plan to ID as best I can 4"ish or so stumps, lol, ahead of time. Paint on the ground, then attack them in a north to south, east to west fashion to bust roots.

Got it from John Deere dealer here in Augusta. They said Kubota wouldn’t handle it, lol. I asked if they would paint it orange as green nauseates me.

Anyway, I will take my time and see what comes of it.

NN

Well, this deserves it’s own topic, but I made the dreaded mistake of replying to another prior to doing this, so, no luck there.

I mentioned early back on this post that I was Safety First on everything I do. Apparently not!

Below is what happened, and need to share. Usually bad things happen from not just one thing. Rather a mix of oversights, lack of experience, training, distractions, riding motorcycles (OTC), blah blah blah, that turn into a bad mix with poor outcome…I was lucky.

Lets go. I will preface this to say that I was not drinking!

So, I get on my new tractor with my highly experienced 3 hour of driving it with a front end loader on it, box blade on back, and decide to get a root out of the way that was pulled up when guy was mulching trail that the side by side could not clear. Also, the trail mulched was not as wide as I wanted. Go down that path, downhill and get the rootball out of the way. Love it.

Then I decided to widen more of this trail and am very successful with these smaller trees. I’m using the bucket for this and have box blade on the back. No worries.

Then, I get into a spot with more of the same. No issues, until, on slope mind you, that I am pushing several smaller trees at one time, and instead of pushing the bucket down, I go UP, a lot.

I felt the left rear tire come off the ground!!

Oh ****!!! I leaned to the left naturally, to no avail, but lowered the bucket. Problem solved.

In closing, roll bar was up, but I did not use the seat belt. Sheesh, what an idiot mistake.

Thank God to be here to send this message!!

NN

Where’s the pics. :smiley: Life lessons! you Learn as you go! No problems, you are OK! Live and go on. This equipment has no conscience. You live or die, it doesn’t care. Be safe my friend!!! Learn from mistakes or die from them… LEARN!!!

Edit… thinking about the seat belt. Take this from one that has been called crazy as a scat house loon, redneck, azzhat and worse. I do not wear a seat belt on an open cab tractor. Have seen first hand the results. My opinion … I feel it is safer to be able to have a quick ability to bail off one. In a car I agree with it due to speeds and speeds of other vehicles, but on a tractor. Not me. I also don’t wear a helmet on a bike unless I’m going a distance down an interstate, the wind blowing my hair makes my head sore.

A seatbelt under a roll bar is the safest way. Really. I know stuff.

anyway, some junk laying around the compound, all of it still gets used and works as it should. If you look close you will see barbed wire holding some of it together. You do what you gotta do i guess

If the new forum eats all these pics at once, plus the video, I’m fully onboard.

OK, so it appears the new forum won’t process video uploads, probably have to upload to youtube first and then post a link

Admin?

Gotcha, EF on the seatbelt for sure.

Anyway, just created new login, so trying to get used to this…

Nice collection of implements, sir!

NN

Hey EF, I’m thinking about a homemade spiked drag for this dirt road I live on that is like a washboard. Unless you know anyone that would part with an antique?

I know of a couple hanging on barn walls up here, but I don’t think thats the proper tool for road upkeep. A harrow is mainly used to break up ground that has stuff like corn stumps and leftover crop residue, dig surface roots and such, and cover seeds. I never thought about using it on a dirt road, but it would likely level the washboarding. I do know they make gravel harrows for that kind of work, mostly chain and a few spikes.

What are you planning on pulling it with? I’m thinking a scrape blade or even a box blade would be better but if you don’t have a small tractor I see where you are going.

Worth a try. A good double harrow (two 4’ by 4’ sections) will cost in the neighborhood of $200,give or take in this neck of the woods.