Crab Bank

Never shrimped CB and was wondering how rough the water is out there, I have a 16’ 2" Xpress john boat and don’t want to get beat up. Also is shem creek the closest landing to put in to get to CB. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

06 Xpress,Yamaha TLR 70

Shem Creek is the closest launch site for CB. As for how rough it can get, that depends upon the winds and what direction they are coming from. I have seen and have shrimped from 16’ aluminum jon boats out there so its not like you are out in BB or at the jetties.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

you’ll be fine in that boat, just check the wind. I’m sure most people call it off if the predictions are 10+, I typically look for 5 or less, but I’ll go if we really need the shrimp.

The mouth of shem creek is literally right at CB so it’s a short ride.

Thanks for the info guys…ill post after I make a trip out

06 Xpress,Yamaha TLR 70

I went out there last night…perfect night and lots of shrimp

I usually shrimp at cowpens or BB and just tried the harbor for the first time. I went out directly across from Shem Creek so I don’t know if that is Crab Bank, but I did not catch a thing. I tried a few places and threw about 5 times each over the bait and nothing was there. I was in 5 feet of water on the incoming tide with good mud on the poles. The guy with me was tired and so we pulled poles since there was no activity and went home.

In reading the posts above about 40 boats in the area on a Sunday-Monday night, I don’t think I could have been in the right place as there were maybe just a couple other boats in the area and I don’t know that they were shrimping. If you come out of Shem Creek we were by the island right there. Please let me know if I was in the wrong place for Crab Bank…I’m used to filling the cooler in BB and Cowpens so this was a kick in the gut.

you certainly should have caught shrimp there. What time/day were you there?

you might have been on the wrong side of Crab Bank…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Sounds like he might have been just off of Patriot’s Point. I have caught shrimp there before but who knows?

If your shrimping that area and you are not surrounded by other shrimpers, rethink your location.

There is a reason why they are all piled up together.
You can go off on your own and you may do OK, but the simple fact remains that alot of these guys have been doing this for a long time. They already determined what the best spots are so huddle in and keep it friendly.

Not sure what was going on Tuesday night around 9pm. Lots of yelling and a couple boats chasing each other. I guess close is fine, but too close is not?

I remember going to Crab bank with my Papa 20 years ago…All large/jumbos…1 hr or less cooler out…I don’t even remember seeing mass amount of people all the time…Oh the good ole days! I think the shrimping license should be based off of time of citizenship, HA. For us Locals born/raised it should be free, for implants and out of town’rs it should start at a 1000 bucks and decrease each year that you reside here in Charleston! To think of it, I don’t remember him having to buy tags just a fishing license, could be wrong though!

191 Bay Scout

Yep, went back out last night and I had been on the wrong side of crab bank. The night before I did not go out until almost 11:30pm so I don’t know that there were many boats out there at that time to be a sign. Last night I went just before sunset and it was packed and I was lucky to find a place to put 5 poles in a row. After shrimping in BB and Cowpens it was interesting how the shrimp just showed up as soon as it got dark. I only stayed about 30 minutes after it got dark and got 5-10 shrimp per throw before heading to shem creek for dinner (had a couple of non-shrimpers with me who were hungry). Nice sized shrimp and I still got several pounds in a short period of time. I’ll take 5 large shrimp per throw compared to the 10-15 medium/small shrimp I got at cowpens last weekend!

It was the last hour of the falling tide and I would be curious how guys did who waited for the first part of the rising tide?

Hey Guys, I’m new to shrimping in Charleston, I used to shrimp a lot in Beaufort and Bluffton. Which side of the mouth of Shem creek is CB? Does anybody catch any during the day? I’m thinking about trying the rising tide tomorrow at noonish.

2002 Keywest 2020CC Johnson J140 - Sold

In the market for CC 17-18 Grady-White, or Mckee Craft Pulse or Marathon

You can shrimp off of Patriot’s Point (right of Shem Creek) or towards the left around Crab Bank. You won’t catch much of anything during the day in the harbor.

quote:
Originally posted by theestricknine

Hey Guys, I’m new to shrimping in Charleston, I used to shrimp a lot in Beaufort and Bluffton. Which side of the mouth of Shem creek is CB? Does anybody catch any during the day? I’m thinking about trying the rising tide tomorrow at noonish.

2002 Keywest 2020CC Johnson J140 - Sold

In the market for CC 17-18 Grady-White, or Mckee Craft Pulse or Marathon

Coming out of Shem Creek, it’s the long island to the left. Be careful going around the right side of it. Very shallow water and I’ve seen many boats run aground there. I’ve double limited there at night before on really nice shrimp, but like DFreedom said, not much happening there during the day. It’s a dark-thirty thing. And before y’all get your panties in a wad about the double limit, we had 2 boats, 2 sets of polls, and 2 licenses. Got the first limit and then swapped over to the other boat, polls, and license and got the second limit.

Molon Labe!

Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. - Anatole France (paraphrased)

RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. Still can’t get him out of my mind. What a special friend he was.

Let’s see some PICS guys!

200 Bay Scout
115 Yamaha 4 stroke

Here you go…

Molon Labe!

Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. - Anatole France (paraphrased)

RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. Still can’t get him out of my mind. What a special friend he was.

[quote]Originally posted by Bowhunter

Here you go…

Molon Labe!

Bowhunter, Every time I go out there ; my observation is more like this. I assume the bigger size and quantity must be closer to the ocean.

quote:
Originally posted by misslily

Bowhunter, Every time I go out there ; my observation is more like this. I assume the bigger size and quantity must be closer to the ocean.

Yea, you are right, I should have made my circle bigger to include the area that you circled. I was mainly trying to show shrimphead the general area. It is also my experience that you need to set up farther away from land to catch the bigger shrimp like you suggested.

Molon Labe!