Crawfish

Can anyone tell me how to store live crawfish overnite?Whether in the fridge or cooler,with or with out water on them.Buddy of mine gave me some and the wife wants to have them for dinner tommorrow.Thanks.

No water. Put a bag of ice in bottom of cooler, with drain open, a couple of layers of newspaper or burlap, then craws on top. Then another layer of paper or burlap. Just like crabs.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

No water. Put a bag of ice in bottom of cooler, with drain open, a couple of layers of newspaper or burlap, then craws on top. Then another layer of paper or burlap. Just like crabs.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Larry,

Have you ever soaked newspaper in saltwater, layered live shrimp in the paper, then put them on ice in a cooler. They apparently go dormant, and when brought out, come right back. Easy way to store vs. live well. I surf fish mostly, so don’t have a live well.

RBF

quote:
Larry,

Have you ever soaked newspaper in saltwater, layered live shrimp in the paper, then put them on ice in a cooler. They apparently go dormant, and when brought out, come right back.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Yes, only because I often fish on west coast Florida. That’s what the bait shops have to do in places like Crystal River and Homassasa because the water is pure fresh until you run out a few miles. Then you can transfer them to your bait well. They sell them by the dozen in wet, cold newspaper. They stay alive just fine like that for a good while. Not sure how long but a couple of hours at least. Crawfish, oysters and crabs will keep for several days if cold and damp and not covered in water.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
Larry,

Have you ever soaked newspaper in saltwater, layered live shrimp in the paper, then put them on ice in a cooler. They apparently go dormant, and when brought out, come right back.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Yes, only because I often fish on west coast Florida. That’s what the bait shops have to do in places like Crystal River and Homassasa because the water is pure fresh until you run out a few miles. Then you can transfer them to your bait well. They sell them by the dozen in wet, cold newspaper. They stay alive just fine like that for a good while. Not sure how long but a couple of hours at least. Crawfish, oysters and crabs will keep for several days if cold and damp and not covered in water.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Thanks Larry,

Just wanted everyone to know I do bring something to the table related to this fishing site other than an Ugly Stik and Ben Doerr rod…

RBF

quote:
Just wanted everyone to know I do bring something to the table related to this fishing site other than an Ugly Stik and Ben Doerr rod...

RBF

dont’ sell yourself short, you did some good work in that end times thread and the fred sequel

Mmmmmmm…Crawfish:smiley:

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:
Just wanted everyone to know I do bring something to the table related to this fishing site other than an Ugly Stik and Ben Doerr rod...

RBF

dont’ sell yourself short, you did some good work in that end times thread and the fred sequel

Thanks, PP. But, I do happen to be the midget SJ beat up at the WP cut…