Crawfish

I have finally found a Louisiana Crawfish source that I am comfortable recommending, I have bought other things from the Cajun Grocer but had never ordered crawfish from them… Ordered a 30 pound sack for a Crawfish Boil last night. Quality and size were both outstanding, at most there were maybe 15-20 dead ones in the sack when we cooked them which was a day after we received them, upon arrival Friday afternoon we removed them from the styrofoam shipping cooler and kept them overnight in the outside refrigerator.

They offer 4 sizes of crawfish shipped FedEx Overnight and we ordered the “select”.

https://www.cajungrocer.com/live-crawfish.html

Thanks for the followup, Beavertail!

NN

I’ve been catching a 5 gal bucket everytime I put a couple of traps out
here in Columbia

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.”
Will Rogers

quote:
Originally posted by Sasha and Abby

I’ve been catching a 5 gal bucket everytime I put a couple of traps out
here in Columbia

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.”
Will Rogers

Nice!

Speaking of, can you catch these in the swamps and small creeks up around moncks corner, etc? I soaked a pot for 2-3 hours with dog food, no luck except a small catfish. Any local tips/bait ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by TRS

Speaking of, can you catch these in the swamps and small creeks up around moncks corner, etc? I soaked a pot for 2-3 hours with dog food, no luck except a small catfish. Any local tips/bait ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Chicken necks is what we mostly used when I was growing up in LA.

I have been making my own “pillow traps” with 4 enterences and a bait holder in the middle, out of 1/2" hdwe cloth. These are VASTLY better than t minnow trap. I’ve used all the baits… my best and easiest bait is the CHEAPEST hotdogs you can get.

Will Rogers

quote:
Originally posted by TRS

Never come across a whole bunch around MC but then again I ain’t been searching for them.The most I ever seen was in whippy swamp near pond town SC.They wouldn’t leave our crickets alone while we were fishing.haha.You got to look for them I reckon.For what ever reason,some years are better than others. I would get a pole and a piece of ■■■■■■■ and go prospecting.If you get a few then put out a trap.
quote:

I have been making my own “pillow traps” with 4 enterences and a bait holder in the middle, out of 1/2" hdwe cloth. These are VASTLY better than t minnow trap. I’ve used all the baits… my best and easiest bait is the CHEAPEST hotdogs you can get.

Will Rogers

I made several traps for my daughter when she was little using 1/2" hardwire cloth. I noticed as we would pull traps we would see several on top of the trap. I started making them a little bigger 20" x 20" x 8" and started putting two funnels on top. Really increased our catch. We used a mix of dog food and a can of cheap cat food in a sock for bait. Pretty much any bridge that holds water around the low country holds them. We put ours in some of the deeper holes in a creek behind Dad’s house.

If you totally submerge the traps for more than 8 hours, you will have a good amount of DROWNED crawfish in this warm weather. Check your traps regularly. I leave about an inch out of the water so they can get air…

Will Rogers

quote:

If you totally submerge the traps for more than 8 hours, you will have a good amount of DROWNED crawfish in this warm weather. Check your traps regularly. I leave about an inch out of the water so they can get air…

Will Rogers

Thank you for that, I never realized they had to get surface air. Don’t know a lot about them other than my daughters craze on catching and eating them as a little one. I was never really impressed with em, just pleasing my little one.

I did learn that if you “purge” them in some fresh tap water they taste better.