Crossbow hunting

Good Morning- hope all are well - I scoured the DNR book and couldnt find an answer: Are crossbows allowed at “Archery Only” WMA’s?

Also, has anyone hunted Dungannon before? Are you allowed to drive your truck down the service road that wraps the right side of the property or must you park at the front gate area and walk in?

Thanks

WEAPONS
3.1 On WMA lands hunters may use any shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow,
crossbow or hand gun except specific weapons may be prohibited on certain
hunts.
Small game hunters may possess or use shotguns with shot
no larger than No. 2 or .22 or smaller rimfire rifles/handguns or primitive
muzzle-loading rifles of .40 caliber or smaller. Small game hunters may
not possess or use buckshot, slugs or shot larger than No. 2. Blow guns,
dart guns or drugged arrows are not permitted. Small game hunters using
archery equipment must use small game tips on the arrows (judo points,

Most of the WMA’s have pamphlets or you can call them also.

" It is what it is".

Crossbows are not archery equipment. Crossbows are gay. Might as well shoot a rifle.

08 Bowtech Tribute
11 Bowtech Destroyer
Remington 700 30-06

Hahaha Fair enough, Salty. I dont have one, really never even thought aboutit - but a buddy wants to sell me one for real cheap. I am not ready to dump a ton of money into a bow, just thought it might offer a new hunting opportunity (for cheap) close to home for quick after work outings- Dungannon is “Archery Only”. I guess gay or not, I’de be in the woods instead of on the couch.

As defined by the state of SC-Crossbows - Crossbows may be used on private lands and WMA lands
statewide during all archery, muzzleloader or gun seasons for deer, bear
and turkey

I dont agree, but that really doesnt matter. You can use a crossbow in dungannon.

08 Bowtech Tribute
11 Bowtech Destroyer
Remington 700 30-06

I have been bow hunting for fourteen years now and shoot both. I have a 70 lb bowtech old glory and a 175 lb horton legend. If youre considering a crossbow i say go for it. Its one accurate and deadly weapon that has one distinct advantage while hunting. No movement to come to full draw! Ive taken deer and hogs with both. The main advantage with the crossbow is not having to move when your target is in range. Theyre both very effective, just put the broadhead where it needs to go. Dont be fooled by the crossbows heavy draw and optics. Its still a bow and wont shoot through a shoulder blade. Crossbows are alot of fun, I say go for it.

I have been bow hunting for fourteen years now and shoot both. I have a 70 lb bowtech old glory and a 175 lb horton legend. If youre considering a crossbow i say go for it. Its one accurate and deadly weapon that has one distinct advantage while hunting. No movement to come to full draw! Ive taken deer and hogs with both. The main advantage with the crossbow is not having to move when your target is in range. Theyre both very effective, just put the broadhead where it needs to go. Dont be fooled by the crossbows heavy draw and optics. Its still a bow and wont shoot through a shoulder blade. Crossbows are alot of fun, I say go for it.

i also have and use both. i highly prefer to use the compound, however the crossbow does have its place. as killinR mentioned yes 1 advantage is no drawing to get ready to shoot, however theyre also roughly the same speed as an arrow so you will have to judge distance just like the compound. once ive practiced and dialed in, at hunting range i have about the same accuracy although i admit the crossbow is easier to shoot. in a normal season i use the compound any time im in a stand and the crossbow in areas where theres no practical tree to hang a stand but plenty of spots to hide in the brush on the ground. sticking a deer at 10 yards sitting on the ground tucked inside a bush in a thicket is definately something! back home i could shoot my bow daily behind my house so i was well prepared for bow season, however here with 7 day work weeks and 12 hour days i dont get the luxury of ample target practice time so the crossbow was nice to sight in fast and still get to hunt at least a little. i did get my bow out and shoot it first, however i didnt feel i was good enough to place a good shot and didnt want to wound and lose an animal. hopefully late season i get some more time and get it out again!!!

What kind of range can you get out of a crossbow? Also how much noise do they make?

maybe a little bit farther than a bow, but depends on how comfortable you are with your aim. compound i limit my shots to 25-30 and crossbow under 40 assuming a clear shooting lane…however the farthest ive shot a deer with the compound was 25 yards and the 1 deer ive killed with a crossbow was at 10. they make a lot more noise than a compound but mines rated at 320 feet per second so in practical bow range theyre already hit by the time they can react. overall i would agree the compound is more challenging and rewarding, however the crossbow does have its place.