crossing submerged jetties

Have you guys ever crossed the submerged portion of the north jetty?

When I look at the chart (see image attached), it looks plenty deep if you follow that line I put on there. However, do the rocks come up higher than the depth values labeled on the chart?

I’m not too worried about sand, but rocks are a different beast.

Sea Hunt 235 Ultra 250 Yamaha

yes you can cross them - first time follow another boat through and then look at your gps and follow the track the next time.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Saw someone cross the south jetty 500 yards off the beach at Morris yesterday morning about 2 hours before high tide. I didn’t know it was possible. Just assumed they didn’t know what they were doing and would either get lucky or it was going to end badly.

I always stay close along the front beach of Sullivan’s and don’t cut the corner and I’ve never been close to grounding out. I don’t think there are any rocks in that area. Someone will certainly correct me if I’m wrong but I haven’t seen any on sidescan while cutting through.

I usually hug the beach, but you can cross the submerged N jetty, but be careful at lower tide points as there are areas where the rocks are only just submerged. you can see those areas from looking at the water.
Ive never had an issue crossing submerged S Jetty but havnt done that as much as the N.

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. We tried it coming from the ocean side at dead load tide on Sunday. The water was slick, we’d come out of the Dewes inlet, so I figured why not give it a shot. We got past the sandbar, but couldn’t find a hole through the breakers to get to the deeper water closer to Sullivan’s. I saw 2.6ft before we turned back out. I really didn’t want to bottom out on the sand in a trough! I’ll grab the GPS track data and post later this week. Will try again at higher tide some other time.

Sea Hunt 235 Ultra 250 Yamaha

Used to fish with a guy that shot that hole regularly… until… and we were lucky. Went flying through there at speed and watched the rocks of the jetty flash past beneath us. We couldn’t believe we didn’t make contact. Never shot that hole again.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

Man. Sounds like maybe I’ve just been lucky. Slid right through the first time and have always just followed the same track.

I’d take Pea Pads boat out there and do some measuring and be sure…

Peeps cut bars all the time…

Until the run over a washed up tree.

I’ll stay in the deep side. JMO.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

you sob

Silly Old Boater?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Silly Old Boater?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

DF for the win!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”