Daughter's First Frog Gigging Trip...

Just got back to the house at 1:30 am from a Frog gigging trip. Been trying to take her Frog gigging for a couple of weeks now, but this rain just won’t stop, so we loaded extra clothes in the truck in case we got wet…and went anyway.

Used our Canoe to slip along one of the canals on a WMA we hunt, and started just as it got dark. Seen about 3 dozen Bull Frogs big enough to eat, but most were in spots behind brush where it was difficult to get in gigging range.

I paddled and let her do most of the spotting, and pointed out the ones she failed to see. She got the first 2 Frogs pretty easy, then missed a few others. We would spot them then try to nose her end of the Canoe into gig range. She had an 8 ft gig and sometimes got it tangled up in limbs trying to reach the Frogs, which spooked them off and blew our stalks.

As I was getting her in position on a Frog that was back 10 feet from the edge of the trees, a BIG green Dragonfly came off one of the low tree limbs and went into her face, and kept trying to land on her hat/headlight…attracted to the light. I was certain that wasn’t going to END WELL!!! All I was hearing was " SOMETHINGS GOT ME!!! " " AHHHHHH GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF!!! " " DAD HELP!!! "

Well, She managed to not turn our Canoe over attempting to evade the bug, but spooked that Frog, and after about 10 minutes ( when she calmed down ) we looked for some more Frogs.

Turned around and headed back to the truck, and she got a few more Frogs and missed a few more. Once we got to the truck there was a big Frog right there, but he was about 4 feet up on the bank and out of gig range…so plan B, which is a 14 foot Bream Buster with a 12" piece of 30# braid line, hook, and a small piece of white material. Dangle the hook right on the Frogs nose, it grabs the ’ fly ’ and you set the hook. Guess she thought I was joking when I told her why we had that pole in the Canoe, and it was HILARIOUS when that big Frog grabbed her ’ bait ’ and commenced to jumping all over trying to get away.

Sounds like you guys had a great trip, been about 10 yrs since I been. Miss those fresh frog legs.

Memories of a lifetime!

I’ve gone soft. I gave it up and now when I have the opportunity just catch and bring em home to the pond to listen to them.

Seems they have made a little of a comeback from a few years ago.

Monster frogs! Great experance for the girl! Memorys of years past, hard to stay up past dark now.

Do you fry the legs like chicken?

They look huge btw

PS - my wife is a vegetarian, but she does eat fish, so basically she doesn’t eat anything w/ feet, im gonna have to ask her what her position is on frogs legs!

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by drterry

Do you fry the legs like chicken?

They look huge btw

PS - my wife is a vegetarian, but she does eat fish, so basically she doesn’t eat anything w/ feet, im gonna have to ask her what her position is on frogs legs!

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

Yes, fry just like fish or chicken.

That was such a great post.
Nice smile.

“No… it’s okay, I know the way out…”