Dealing with a dishonest Home Warranty company

I bought my house about 6 months ago, and was given a home warranty by a family member as a gift.

It has turned out to be a mess. The heater in our house worked just fine for the first few weeks of chilly weather (natural gas) but I started having chemical odors in the house in November, and it turns out that the heat exchanger is cracked.

The Home Warranty company is stating that the heat exchanger would have been defective from the beginning, and thus not covered by warranty.

I used the system for several weeks before having issues, and I also have written documentation that the system was functioning properly, just prior to closing on the house. This HVAC system didn’t work when I had the house inspected, so the seller had an HVAC contractor repair it. That contractor gave us a receipt that clearly states “System functions properly”.

I believe I have a very strong case against this company, but I am not entirely sure how to move forward. I can take this to the BBB and Consumer Affairs, or I can use my attorney to approach them. Or I can send them a letter stating my intent of using every form of media I have available to me as a consumer to write across the heavens that they dealt dishonestly with me.

What do y’all suggest? Does the SC Insurance Commission deal with Home Warranty items?

Thanks,
Matt

For what it’s worth, I have already scheduled an HVAC contractor to install an new system. I’m getting one with a two-stage gas burner, two stage AC, 16 SEER, which is the most efficient we can afford at the moment. Should be a HUGE upgrade in efficiency over our old system.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

Go back to the ‘expert’ HVAC contractor. They should have some culpability.

Fine print on contracts probably get’s them off. All of them are the same, and the sub contractors that do work for them are suspect as well. They pay absolutely nothing to subs so it’s up to the sub to try and make a profit, so go figure.

quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt

That contractor gave us a receipt that clearly states “System functions properly”.

Is that all the receipt said or is there more in the fine print that says something like “at the time of inspection” or something similar to that? If not, the contractor is a dumbass for not covering himself better than that.

I know I commented on your other thread, and I am not piling on you about this issue. I have had experience dealing with homeowners and home warranty companies, and the homeowner rarely ends up happy with the outcome. They are pretty much a legal scam.

www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?event=askdave/&intContentItemId=122824

You may only be entitled to whatever money was paid to the home warranty company. Post their name so others will know who NOT to deal with

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

quote:
Originally posted by birddawg
quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt

That contractor gave us a receipt that clearly states “System functions properly”.

Is that all the receipt said or is there more in the fine print that says something like “at the time of inspection” or something similar to that? If not, the contractor is a dumbass for not covering himself better than that.

I know I commented on your other thread, and I am not piling on you about this issue. I have had experience dealing with homeowners and home warranty companies, and the homeowner rarely ends up happy with the outcome. They are pretty much a legal scam.

www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?event=askdave/&intContentItemId=122824

Yeah I’ve read the Ramsey thing, and agree with you both. This warranty was a gift to me so it is what it is lol.

And I do appreciate your help, I don’t see you “piling up on me” at all.

Fritz, if they would refund the $600 paid for this thing and forget that I exist, I’d be quite happy.

Here’s the other downside. With this particular company, they seem to use contractors that cannot exist out in the “real world” free market without these warranty companies sending them business. They sent a plumber over here that was so freaking lazy (or stupid) that he told me my bathroom sink was slow draining because it was a vessel (bowl) type sink. What a moron. The drain on the sink was a universal drain style. The sink drains slowly because there’s a clog somewhere, not because it’s a vessel sink.

In other words, my experience has been that these home warranty companies seem to

Had very similar issue years ago with American Home Shield. Nothing more than a scam.

Sorry for your issues.

Contact the SC Insurance commissioner. Tell them they claimed that the part was defective without an independent analysis inspection of the part by an engineer. Tell them you do not trust the opinion of their hvac tech and you question his credentials as an expert in determining defect vs a component that failed to perform it’s intended function.

Call the supervisor of the adjuster and complain to him/her too.

If they are going to deny you, make 'em spend $1200 for a cause and loss inspection from an engineer, not a hvac technician.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Scams/
The Better Business Bureau is nothing more than a pay for play scam. Don’t waste your time.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

quote:
Originally posted by CooperRiverMan

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Scams/
The Better Business Bureau is nothing more than a pay for play scam. Don’t waste your time.

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

Still worth it to file the complaint. If it takes time to respond to it, it gets expensive quickly.

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

quote:
Originally posted by claim

Contact the SC Insurance commissioner. Tell them they claimed that the part was defective without an independent analysis inspection of the part by an engineer. Tell them you do not trust the opinion of their hvac tech and you question his credentials as an expert in determining defect vs a component that failed to perform it’s intended function.

If they are going to deny you, make 'em spend $1200 for a cause and loss inspection from an engineer, not a hvac technician.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

YOu a lawyer Claim? :smiley:

Redfish, that sounds like the best advise. Make sure you let who ever is at top know that you are extremely dissatisfied in a professional way and don’t back down. Let them know that if your conversation doesn’t settle it, your next step is to seek a lawyer.

And never forget to though out the “Safety” factor.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

YOu a lawyer Claim? :smiley:

Redfish, that sounds like the best advise. Make sure you let who ever is at top know that you are extremely dissatisfied in a professional way and don’t back down. Let them know that if your conversation doesn’t settle it, your next step is to seek a lawyer.

And never forget to though out the “Safety” factor.

Naaa. Unemployed claim adjuster with 24 years of experience.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:

Naaa. Unemployed claim adjuster with 24 years of experience.

~my dad

That’s a long time of Adjusting!!

Love your avitar, makes me laugh every time I see it.

Who was the Home warranty co? My clients have had several problems with American Home Shield.

1973 22ft Mako CC

Excellent advice if this was in fact an insurance policy however home warranties are service contracts not an insurance product, therefore they are not governed by insurance law.

Warranty company agents are accustomed to people rattling their cage, making threats etc. Getting your realtor involved, Consumer advocates, BBB or an attorney would be your best bet in my opinion.

quote:

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

People will forget what you said…
People will forget what you did…
But people will never forget how you made them feel.