Dehumidifier in your house

The fact is EVERYONE’S air conditioner is oversized a good part of the year. Design in our area is actually 92 outdoor, 75 Indoor. A day like today (rainy and low 80’s) is about as bad as it gets. How on earth do you expect the air conditioner do take care of the humidity load that is very large today when it’s not running? The sensible load is not very high. And before you say it’s “too big” think; It’s not 92 today but it will be tomorrow. But the humidity is extreme (100% maybe?). Now if you had a dual stage or even better a multi stage inverter compressor then the unit will ramp down to give you longer run time without overcooling. There are many shoulder months that are just horrible conditions for even a properly sized system. Multi stage or whole house dehumidifiers are more than just something nice to have in this town.

quote:
Originally posted by wstrickland1

The fact is EVERYONE’S air conditioner is oversized a good part of the year. Design in our area is actually 92 outdoor, 75 Indoor. A day like today (rainy and low 80’s) is about as bad as it gets. How on earth do you expect the air conditioner do take care of the humidity load that is very large today when it’s not running? The sensible load is not very high. And before you say it’s “too big” think; It’s not 92 today but it will be tomorrow. But the humidity is extreme (100% maybe?). Now if you had a dual stage or even better a multi stage inverter compressor then the unit will ramp down to give you longer run time without overcooling. There are many shoulder months that are just horrible conditions for even a properly sized system. Multi stage or whole house dehumidifiers are more than just something nice to have in this town.

ding, ding - we have another post with great info

dual stage and multi stage units are a great choice as are whole house dehumidifiers

this could be a whole topic to itself, unfortunately most folks aren’t given these options and they are more expensive, people are usually replacing a unit when it fails and all they care about is getting cool again

the smart homeowner will say, “hmmm, my unit is xx yaers old and at the last 20% of it’s life, while the world isn’t in crazy mode it would be good to sit down with my dealer and discuss the options, then make a smart decision and plan the replacement.”

most folks spend 30-40% of their life in their home, yet they spend almost no time maintaining or thinking about the one item that makes the house comfortable and affordable

a system that is properly designed and installed is a great idea and will lower your utility bill

in the past I’ve written about my 2800 sq ft home, and the th

Hey Blue, do you work for SCE&G and if so, what do you know about the free energy audit/assessments they do? Worthwhile?

Sorry Fritz, not trying to derail your thread, maybe we could all benefit.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by MyHooker111

K…how about a air purifier? anyone ever use that? Does it work or do you see a difference?

We have one of those also. Don't try to steal my thunder with a topic about those just yet.

23 says you only need 20 baits for a day of fishing.

Fritz, let me install a whole house dehumidifier for you. It will sit in the attic near the air handler and go about it’s business quietly. No buckets to dump, etc. Its a very good upgrade

quote:

Fritz, let me install a whole house dehumidifier for you. It will sit in the attic near the air handler and go about it’s business quietly. No buckets to dump, etc. Its a very good upgrade

Apparently someone sold me an oversized unit so I may need that.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Hey Blue, do you work for SCE&G and if so, what do you know about the free energy audit/assessments they do? Worthwhile?

Sorry Fritz, not trying to derail your thread, maybe we could all benefit.

Yes, I work for SCE&G. The free energy audits are excellent. We will do the audit, provide you a written report, and some free stuff. I’m not involved in that program anymore but helped train some of the auditors. They have had a ton of training since then and a few years of experience.

Go to https://www.sceg.com/for-my-home/save-energy-money
to download and submit the Home Energy Check form.

Also, get the LED lights, that’s a great deal. You can get any combination of 15 LEDs. The basic bulbs are $1 each. The 3-way bulb is excellent. I’ve got both of these. I don’t have any recessed can lights but if I did I’d buy the BR30 flood LED.

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:

Apparently someone sold me an oversized unit so I may need that.

There are some real hacks in the HVAC industry, You need to be more careful who you hire…

Good to know, thanks Blue!

I switched my whole house over to LED, inside and out. Mainly because i got tired of replacing conventional bulbs. to my surprise, there was a noticeable drop in my power bill over the new few months.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

I switched my whole house over to LED, inside and out. Mainly because i got tired of replacing conventional bulbs. to my surprise, there was a noticeable drop in my power bill over the new few months.

That’s going to be my next step… I’m in new construction now, but spray foamed the roof at the suggestion of a few on here, and put in programmable thermostats. My power bill has been about 10-20% less than my last house and that’s with 50% more square feet. Pretty amazing…

Also considering tinting some more windows… I tried a tint that is really used for the front windshield of cars and it seems to do a great job keeping the heat out of my home office.

Hey, Skinneej. Did you apply the window film yourself? If so: Was it difficult? Where did you order it from?

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Easy to install, It helps if you have any wall paper experance! with a little practice you can get good and quick!

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Hey, Skinneej. Did you apply the window film yourself? If so: Was it difficult? Where did you order it from?

Audio Evolutions. Those guys do it all. I had them do a couple of rooms just to see how I liked it. I've basically forgotten they are tinted.

That being said, it didn’t look that difficult. Mostly trimming to the correct size, and I think he used a mixture of soap and water to apply it to the glass, and then a plastic edge to smooth out the bubbles. Also, they only charge you for the amount that they tint, whereas if you do it yourself, maybe you need to buy more than you actually use.

Inverter-Driven Modulating Technology.
Never have an oversized system again, never worry about humidity again, so simple a hack can size them.

I put it on all the windows in my Bertram, sure cooled it down!

Install Radiant Barrier (like aluminum foil) with attic exhaust fans and uv blocking window tint. Both are easy DIY…$ well spent

quote:
Originally posted by Badfish

Install Radiant Barrier (like aluminum foil) with attic exhaust fans and uv blocking window tint. Both are easy DIY…$ well spent

These seam appropriate for the Skinee one…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro
quote:
Originally posted by Badfish

These seam appropriate for the Skinee one…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

As long as I get to wear this:

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

LOL, skinnie and manual labor…