Dehumidifier in your house

Who has one? Can’t wait to see how this turns into a debate…

23 says you only need 20 baits for a day of fishing.

I’ve had them in the garage. Your AC should keep your house dehumidified to appropriate levels.

If your HVAC system is working properly you should not have humidity issues IN your house.

If you’re referring to UNDER a house, that’s another story.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I guess that ends this thread…or does it?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

If I have an inside dehumidifier and it collects water that means my AC unit isn’t functioning? Gross Profit, where are you on this?

No. That means it is moving air that you are NOT allowing your HVAC to move. It is taking the humidity produced inside your home by your breathing and other means, and making liquid out of it. If the dehumidifier was NOT there, your HVAC would intake that air and treat it, as long as your system is adequate for your volume of air, and working properly. If it is oversized, it will not run long enough to take the humidity out of the air.

Not sure, but it seems you may be (once again) trolling for an argument.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

If I have an inside dehumidifier and it collects water that means my AC unit isn’t functioning? Gross Profit, where are you on this?

If your AC unit is sized correctly, it should be running most of the time (when it is hot and humid outside). While its running it dehumidifies your house (condensation collects on your coils and drains out of your house).

Often times people put an oversized unit on their home thinking more is better. What happens is the unit cycles on and off repeatedly giving you quick cold blasts of air that will satisfy the thermostat but it doesn’t run long enough to dehumidify the air inside your home. You then have excess humidity in the house if not equivalent to the relative humidity outside of the house. This in turn leads to humidity problems in the house i.e. prints/pictures molding behind the glass, mold between your clothes in closets, wet feeling bed sheets, etc. etc.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

quote:

Probably. Some people think that getting an a/c unit larger than required will cool better. It will but it doesn’t run as long removing the humidity in your home. 78* with high humidity feels warmer than if ther was little humidity. On our muggy climate a dehumidifier may be a good option if you have a lot of traffic in out the door letting much outside air In. I’d get it checked into don’t want mold to start growing.

Think of the recirculate setting in your truck and how it takes a bit longer to cool off on a high humidity day Leave your doors open and watch the puddle of water from your evaporator pull up.

Really don’t see this as a debate issue. Don’t know any one using one. They are used in Okinawa pretty regular

“Why Bruce?”

Three responses in a row pointing to a too-large-for-the-house unit…

If there’s excess humidity, you either have too big of a unit, too much outside air infiltration, or your unit is not functioning properly for some other reason.

Wadmalaw native

So my unit is to big? There’s a first for everything… I just moved the dehumidifier from where it was to another location, my best gal set it up directly under the air return so I’m thinking it was treating the air that was headed for the return which created the amount of water we were getting, we will se what happens.

quote:

So my unit is to big? There’s a first for everything… I just moved the dehumidifier from where it was to another location, my best gal set it up directly under the air return so I’m thinking it was treating the air that was headed for the return which created the amount of water we were getting, we will se what happens.

I'm sure that SHE does NOT think that your "unit is too big"...

There’s pretty much always moisture in the air unless you live in a super arid environment. A dehumdifier is very efficient at removing moisture from the air, and it doesn’t shut off like your hvac system would. With your dehumidifier always running and with our very humid environment, your going to see lots of water collected by it.

It doesn’t necessarily mean that your hvac system is too large, it just removes available moisture from the air.

My question to you is: Are you having problems with moisture in your house? What made you want to use the dehumidifier in the first place?

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

A dog with congestive heart failure having breathing issues is why she bought it…

Hvac unit won’t get rid of all the extra humidity in the air. If the humidity in your house is too high for you then by all means use a dehumidifier. I used to have one in my basement. Hvac worked great but the dehumidifier made all the difference. Collected lots of water.

Even conditioned air with still have a certain degree of saturation
too little humidity is also a problem but we wont have that worry down south
Most ac remove humidity relatively well but in really moist environments like ours a lot of the commercial units have seperate dehumidification capabilities

So to answer your question … yes its fine to use a seperate dehumidifier in addition to your residential unit

84 HYDRA SPORT 1800SS
89 Yamaha 150
‘BAD HABIT’
89 TRACKER 17 TX
MERC 50
‘OL LEAKY’

Your HVAC system should run constantly on a 95 degree day and maintain 50% relative humidity at 75 degrees inside. More than 50% relative means the system isn’t working properly. Being too large is the most common reason for high humidity.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ZX

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Three responses in a row pointing to a too-large-for-the-house unit…

If there’s excess humidity, you either have too big of a unit, too much outside air infiltration, or your unit is not functioning properly for some other reason.

Wadmalaw native

ding, ding - so many good posts I didn’t know which one to quote (but also some not so accurate posts)

I’m an energy engineer with a utility company and have dealt with hundreds of these issues. If the HVAC system is properly sized and working correctly, and infiltration is controlled, and there are not things happening in the home that create excess moisture then the humidity level will be fine for most people.

HVAC - if the pan isn’t draining properly, if the refrigerant charge is wrong, if the return duct is in an unconditioned space and has leaks, if the fan speed is too high, if the unit is oversized, etc. - you can have issues

Oversized - if it is oversized there are some things you can do to improve performance, it helps if you know what size unit (cfm of airflow) the duct work was sized for, oftentimes I see homes that had a 2-ton unit and the owner later installed a 2.5 ton unit, not good, the ductwork is too small for the extra cfm of air flow - that causes noise, velocity and other issues, lower the fan speed on the unit to the lowest setting, that will decrease the noise and increase humidity removal

Infiltration - all homes leak air, seal it up as tight as you can to eliminate the hot humid air, dust, smells and bugs from getting in, the best you can do won’t be good enough on an existing home but it will make it better

Moisture sources - decrease and eliminate them, close toilet lids, run exhaust fans in bathrooms when showering, if you have plants you will

I have a full basement that has 3 sides underground. Without the dehumidifier I have had some mold issues in the summer but after running the unit I haven’t had any problems in over 10 years! Before I plumbed the unit into the drain system I was haveing to empty the 1.5 gal. tub at least twice a day. The temp in the basement stays around 65 deg winter and summer.

Inside air humidity should be 40-50%. If you’re within this range, you shouldn’t need a dehumidifier except in an unconditioned space.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

K…how about a air purifier? anyone ever use that? Does it work or do you see a difference?