Demetre Park On James Island

Thought I’d share this with those unfamiliar with this beautiful park. If you have not had a chance to visit this park or fish here located off Ft. Johnson Rd., you are missing out. Beautiful views of Charleston Harbor and its surrounding landmarks. Might be the prettiest place in all of Charleston. Fished here on Saturday and caught a slot red, and two nice trout. Three or four others fishing nearby had their coolers full. They swear its the best place to fish on Charleston Harbor, add in the great views and you cant beat it. Next to the James Island Yacht Club which is private.

Apparently a local family (Demetre) donated all that land to Charleston in order for the community to enjoy. What a gift that was. Kudos to the family.

Used to be called Sunrise Park.

It will be overcrowded before long. Just like everything else around here.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

I know that park well:) Nice place!

It’s already over crowded. And is there anything worth catching there? I don’t think so. I bet I have fished it 20 times while my girls lay out on the beach or find teeth. Never a bite.

It’s pretty touristed out to. Does City of Charleston have it as a destination on the website or something?

It used to be an awesome “local beach” for those of us who live on JI, now it’s Buckeye Heaven.

Narcosis

On the other thread, Fishing Discussion, guys are talking about the great catches there recently, Reds, Trout, etc. Never have fished there myself but have always heard its a great place to fish from locals. But the beauty of the park is not in dispute.

I used to catch flounder down by the rocks in front of the bench before they renovated it…