Diesel Fuel Spill at Plum Island/Dill Creek

Just a heads up…

https://www.counton2.com/news/over-3000-gallons-of-diesel-fuel-discharged-into-charleston-marsh/

The U.S. Coast Guard said 3100 gallons of diesel fuel was discharged from an above-ground tank at the Plum Island Wastewater Treatment Plant in Charleston.

Officials say it happened on the morning of Saturday, August 15.

According to Charleston Waterworks, staff found the spill after changing shifts and began to clean up the spill by daylight.

Officials say it’s estimated that 20% has spilled on land and 80% has spilled in the water.

The land portion is already cleaned up and crews are actively working on the marsh.

A HEPACO vacuum truck is on scene removing fuel from the marsh and Dill Creek is hard boomed.

The U.S. Coast Guard and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) are both on scene and have communicated information to the Environmental Protection Agency.

I’ve seen 50 gallons get spilled in water… I could only imagine the mess of 3000 gallons. I thought it was a reg that all tanks over 1500 gallons had to have a containment wall around them?

What a shame. I wonder what went wrong to spill that much fuel? Insurance claim coming in 3, 2, 1…

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

According to the news no one is going to be held accountable for the spill due to a mechanical issue. :angry:

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

Storing such things around water should require some kind of safeguards to prevent water contamination.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?