Dirt Bike Knowledge

What’s up, y’all? We’re looking to buy a used dirt bike for my father-in-law, but I’m woefully uneducated in this area. He’s ridden dirt bikes and motorcycles all his life, so (his) experience isn’t an issue. Also, he’s a big guy (approximately 260 lbs.), so we wanna be sure whatever we get is enough bike for him.

What should I be looking for? Would a 125/250 do the trick, or should we go 250/450? We’ve set a price limit at $2,000 but would obviously like to spend as little as possible.

Any ■■■■■■■■ would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Used dirt bikes in good shape are really hard to find and costly since the four wheeler and side by side crazy. For his size I wouldn’t go any less than a 250 and also look for a four stroke like the honda CRF, Suzuki Rmx, or luck out and find an old Husqvarna FX series.

Yammaha makes a TT-R230 that sells for $4000 new all your other new bikes are gonna be in the 7,000 - 8,000 range. I know you’re looking used, just throwing that out there. This time of year will probably be tough to find unless you change over to a four wheeler. Tons of those on the market right now… guess people looking for Christmas money. :question:

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

That’s a heck of a gift for your father-in-law… What kind of dirt did he dig up on you that the wife can’t find out about? :smiley:

Thanks, Fred. A buddy of mine who’s pretty knowledgeable found this:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5913532492.html

Did some research on each bike individually, and this appears to be a pretty good deal. What do y’all think?

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart

Thanks, Fred. A buddy of mine who’s pretty knowledgeable found this:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5913532492.html

Did some research on each bike individually, and this appears to be a pretty good deal. What do y’all think?

that doesn’t seem too bad for both of them. The XR250 is a rugged and dependable bike. Soak it and put it up wet, take it back out and ride the heck out of it. With good maintenance it will last for years. The “little” 70 will suprise you for it’s size.

This time of year if you don’t want the 70 you should be able to sell quick… $1200 easy… I’d think, maybe $1500. That would put the XR at a very good price.

Hope it works out.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

That’s a heck of a gift for your father-in-law… What kind of dirt did he dig up on you that the wife can’t find out about? :smiley:

Didn’t see this yesterday…

He and I are peas in a pod, so he didn’t have to dig too deep. :wink:

And Fred, that’s what I was thinking. We’re getting the bike so he can ride with his grandson, who’s 8 and rides a 50. So even if we don’t sell the 70, it’ll be put to good use sooner or later. Thank you again for sharing some of your knowledge with me. :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Didn’t see this yesterday…

He and I are peas in a pod, so he didn’t have to dig too deep. :wink:

And Fred, that’s what I was thinking. We’re getting the bike so he can ride with his grandson, who’s 8 and rides a 50. So even if we don’t sell the 70, it’ll be put to good use sooner or later. Thank you again for sharing some of your knowledge with me. :smiley:

My political views and general thoughts on life may be a bit off from others but in most all things I speak with sincerity, when it comes to things like this I can give you decent ■■■■■■■■. I don’t facebook and this is the only social media i use. I got my first of two Honda 50 mini trails when I was 8 years old, then a XL100, CB100(converted to dirt), XR125, YZ125, TS250, Elsinore CR250, CR250, YZ490, and then for my final Dirt bike I had a DR200 that I sold a few years ago. The YZ480 was by far the fastest and strongest Dirt bike I ever had, on hard ground could cat walk it in every gear.

I’ve since swapped to a fourwheeler and golf cart. You’ve now got me excited about another dirt bike… except the wife says no to it and no to another street bike… :roll_eyes:

The biggest issue now a days is finding places to ride, so many new landowners and a lot of the big land tr

How about a dual sport bike that he can ride on the road and the trails. I had a XT250 but I think a 400 would have been nice.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

You cannot hide $$$

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

You cannot hide $$$

Yes you can, bury it in mason jars under the peach trees.

For his size, at least a 250. Depending on what type of riding he will do would determine whether he needs a 2-stroke or 4…

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

Bart, I too have ridden dirt and road bikes all of my life. A couple year ago (Im 55 now) I got the dirt bike fever again. It is fun, but lets just say my reflexes and skills aren’t what I remembered them being a few years ago. Having said that, he has two choices; the 250, which will be fine if he just wants to casual ride with the kid, or bigger if he still has the desire for a rush. I found a used KTM 450 with about 12 hours on it for $2k. Look around. They are out there. After three or four times of it reminding me I wasn’t twenty anymore and it was a 450, we have a good relationship.