Dissolved Oxygen Lake Murray

Anyone noticed that O2 readings on Bottom appear to be trending well below 25 yr avg for the date as well as readings from PY for the date…Reading today was 3.5 mg/l…25 yr median is 5.6…lowest reading in 25 years was 3.2…we didn’t hit current levels last year until August

How concerned should we be for health of Striper population through summer?

There are a few of us that have been watching this for the last month or so. The thermocline established very early this year so yes its something to be alarmed about. Water quality below 50ish feet is already showing signs that it is degrading. Bait isnt living good at deep depths also bigger fish are showing up with red belly’s…i believe some fish are finding the better water and staying there. I also believe there is better water quality up lake. I have noticed the last couple of years alot more fish are not going to the big pool. There used to be a HUGE mega school on every hump and point in the big pool. There shear number of these schools just aren’t in the big pool it seems (could just be my experience though)

But there is still good quality water shallower that stripers (good sized ones at that) are piling up in (30-40’). The online data is coming from 60-80’ deep i believe.

Had a buddy catch 2 over 20 and a few teens in one day this week in 35’ of water…

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain
Sea~N~Stripes Guide Service

Here is a great example that a buddy texted me WHILE i was typing the above response. If the fish can stay up shallower where the water quality it better the low DO wont be an issue.

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain

Good to see some still relatively shallow, but we still got a good couple of months of hot weather to go :frowning_face:

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Thanks for the insight

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

Here is a great example that a buddy texted me WHILE i was typing the above response. If the fish can stay up shallower where the water quality it better the low DO wont be an issue.

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain

That one of those 15" spoons or just a smaller striper:smiley:

Dont be telling people about the 15" spoons cuzzo…

21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

USCG Licensed Captain