DIY Home Security Systems??

I have been thinking about buying a home security system for some time. I really don’t want a system where I have to sign a contract and pay $40-50/month for monitoring. I have been looking at DIY systems and am looking for some input from folks that have firsthand knowledge. I am looking at the following systems: Simplisafe, Abode, Scout and iSmart. Any input about these systems or some other DIY system I should consider would be appreciated. I know these are not apples to apples systems, they all have things I like and dislike.

I am NOT interested in any expensive, monitored systems and right now, home automation isn’t a priority.

Thanks!

www.geoarm.com

I have had them for almost a year. My new house had an ADT system already installed. When I called ADT, they wanted me to upgrade everthing and sign a contract and then pay about $50 a month.

My BIL had geoarm, said to it was pretty inexpensive and he did the install himself. I called them up and they walked me through setting up and testing my already existing alarm system and got 13 months of monitoring for $95. They will call your cell phone first if the alarm goes off and isn’t rearmed, then call the local sheriff’s office or fire department depending on which zone is set off.

I plan on upgrading this year to all new stuff at will do the install myself, but will definitely be using geoarm when I do.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Just get a pitt bull

ADT is a pc of crap, got a chow and 357!

are you looking for just some cameras? I have D-Link cameras all over my property and house. They arent the cheapest, but they have a great “out-of-box” cloud system that allows you to access the cameras from any where at any time with your phone. you can also set them up to detect motion and auto-record. they have the options of on-board memory or the option to record to an external device.

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

The monitoring is ADT’s profit center. My house had the complete ADT equipment package installed when I bought it , and the rep came by and argued that the existing equipment was obsolete, but he was willing to get it up and running for a $53 monthly monitoring fee. I almost laughed as he left without my business, I still have the ADT yard sign , a .357 & AR 15, and a dog that will rape a bad guys leg

I am starting to like the idea of a camera or two I can check out my house on my phone when I’m away but, I think I also want something that will make some noise if someone breaks in so they’ll leave. Monitoring doesn’t interest me as I know response times to alarms are famously slow and I really don’t want to pay for it anyway.

Being home when someone breaks in doesn’t bother me, I’m covered there.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

We have Vivint with $50 month service and the door locks are automated as well along with a smoke detector. Had it 7 years and wouldn’t live without it, so can’t help you with what you are looking for.

I didn’t buy it for security while away, except for the smoke detector that will call first responders for me. I got it for while I am home to give me an alert if someone broke in, to be able to set it when the kids were little and know if they walked out the door, and to also give my wife some warning while I am out of town of someone broke in. A dog nor a system like mine will do much to someone breaking in while you are away. 5 houses in my hood got broken in during the day, and one had a huge dog that attacked them, and the other had a system like mine. They got guns from both houses and didn’t caught until they were in GA. How they got caught, video cameras on someones house. But a nice one, not some $150 setup from Harbor Freight.

My point is, I see people all the time make blanket statements about how it’s a waste of money, but it’s all in what you what it to do for you and if you can afford the payment. If I was concerned about life safety and loss of property in a fire, the system would be my choice. If you want to keep tabs and catch people if they do come on your property, then a camera is the way to go. If you don’t have small kids, guns and a barking dog in the living room wold work also. All just depends what you want.

I will say though, I have locked/unlocked my doors, and turned off my alarm from my phone more than I can count. Whether for in-laws that popped up when we weren’t home, or just left and the kids forgot to lock up the house. It’s been great, but when the kids are out of the house, I may stop paying for it in 15 years.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks everyone for the input, gives me a lot to think about. I’m going to take a little more time and figure out what I really want. Man, there is just so much stuff out there.

Don’t worry Peapod, I’ll keep you posted.

Hell DF! Why don’t you get Karen, to pick you up a system off of eBay:smiley:

If you have some old Iphones lying around you can turn them into cameras for the house. There is an app called Manything. It records to their cloud and you can access them on your phone when you are away. Sends alerts to your phone when they detect motion. Very reasonably price option for monitoring your home.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Just get a pitt bull

I wouldn’t have a pitt for a watchdog. Takes too much to make them mean, they like to lick strangers too much. Now our Germanshepard would probably give a thief a run for it’s money and my little mountain cur/australian shepherd mix would have to be shot to make her quit biting a stranger.

Dfreedom, we are kind of like Geronimo. More worried about the kids opening doors or windows. We picked up some little magnetic sensors from Lowes and put on all the windows and doors. Also got some cameras off line that work pretty good. Will alert your phone when noise or movement is detected and pretty good picture quality day or night. Also posted some no trespassing and Cameras in use signs in strategic locations.

I know you said you were not interested in Expensive systems, so just throwing this out there. My friend had some issues with neighbors lifting items and stealing fuel from his bulk tanks. He had a local (ex-cop)put in a six camera system that will record for a month at a time and give super detailed imagery. He’s already used it a couple of times as evidence in thefts. Granted it was $2000 bucks but darn if it isn’t a cool set up.

“Why Bruce?”

Keep us posted.

Why can’t I have neighbors like you

Hey Pod, how bout I move in next to ya? I’d be over to borrow stuff so often you could think of me as your own personal security guard! Save a lot of money, cause I wouldn’t want someone to steal something I might need to borrow:wink:

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Just get a pitt bull

I may need to return mine…he’ll bark, but I think he’d hold the door open for you while you load your getaway truck.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Being home when someone breaks in doesn’t bother me, I’m covered there.

i got a good laugh outta that. thanks

I’ll definitely keep you posted. I am visiting a friend outside of Tampa soon and he is an old security expert so I am going to pick his brain as well. Thank all.

Peapod, you and I would get into trouble if we were neighbors. Probably get kicked out if you threw Easy in the mix.