DNR netting

Is that what’s going on at the Forks right now? Hate to see all those fish going into the boat.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s “Wet Dream”

1994 Ken Craft 175CC 1998 Yamaha 115 “Dream Machine”

DNR does several gill net surveys every year. They show these numbers in their presentations to the club.

I saw the presentation in December. That’s what made me realize what it was I was looking at.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

Is this picture from the river forks of the Little Saluda and Big Saluda? (Sorry I don’t fish Murray as much as I fish Clarks Hill and Hartwell). If so I am surprised how clean the water looks, I had heard it had gotten pretty muddy up that way the weekend of the snow and ice.

Just because they go in the boat doesn’t mean they die…they trammel net in the salt and the majority of the fish are released tagged and alive. Unless they need samples.

Oh no, I watched dozens get thrown in a green tub, when it got full they grabbed another. U could hear the Thud. Many were dead in the net already. U could tell which ones were alive. I understand it’s in the name of science just hate to see the kill.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

All fish collected by DNR in the gill net study are dissected … It’s the only way to track the progress of the stocking program …

Since DNR stocks a million plus per year in Lake Murray alone, I think I can live with what they take …

Fun Fact: 800,000 to 1.1 Million fingerlings represent the same number DNR can produce from a SINGLE female Striper at the hatchery …

There’s plenty to go around … :wink:

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Sure. The gill netting is not pretty, but it is a necessary part of the DNR managing our fishery. I applaud their efforts.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer