DNR's website

Hey guys, I don’t claim to know everything about Salt water fishing in Charleston. I am just like many who want to find some nice spots and take the family out to catch some fish. I live in the Upstate and decided this year to do my homework and get on some of these offshore reefs and so on.
My question is, the DNR site http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/saltwaterfish.html located here… it says 2015 to 2016 season, is this till Dec 2016? I was looking at RED SNAPPER and it says we cannot catch any? In 2015 I know we could not So, does this mean for 2016 too?
Just trying to line up what type of fish I can catch for mid April on my 1st trip down for 2016…that’s all. Thanks in advance for the HELPFUL replies.
PS…If this topic was discussed before, I really don’t care. Please don’t try to school me about how a forum operates, I am tired of trying to match a phrase, a word or whatever to get NO RESULTS. It’s a forum, if you don’t want to help with an answer then just click off the post and go to the next one…thanks.
Jim

Yes, if anything we MIGHT get a mini season sometime in the middle of the summer. Usually two days one fish per person no size limit. Usually the worst weather weekend of the year too :frowning: Most of the DNR regulations run June to June so June 2016 if there are any changes they will be in June. Unfortunately it gets more complicated with offshore fish because they are managed by the SAFMC. That’s a whole other conversation. Long story short you can’t keep red snapper.

http://www.safmc.net/fish-id-and-regs/regulations-species

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

Red Snapper are currently closed. The 2015 to 2016 season runs from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016. Bottom critters you could catch would be black sea bass, triggers, red porgies, vermillion snappers, etc. all of which have size and quantity limits.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Appreciate it guys…thank you.

Capt. Jim
26’ Ranger CC (Offshore)
Twin 200 Yamis

quote:
Originally posted by Jimtera

Please don’t try to school me about how a forum operates, I am tired of trying to match a phrase, a word or whatever to get NO RESULTS. It’s a forum, if you don’t want to help with an answer then just click off the post and go to the next one…thanks.

did you think that those of us who tried to show you where the search function was were not trying to help?

don’t forget a dehooking device when fishing for snapper/grouper…
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/images/dehookers.jpg

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

NO Bonzo…I just get tired of some people whether it b on FB or Twitter or wherever that wants to undermine or act like they know everything. I think when people post a question, you either answer it or stay the hell out of the conversation…simple as that. Too much bull**** on social media…I joined this forum because I have questions and I am hoping that there are some good guys that wont mind sharing their experience…that’s all.

Capt. Jim
26’ Ranger CC (Offshore)
Twin 200 Yamis

Oh…and thanks for the tip on the de hooking thing Bonzo…

Capt. Jim
26’ Ranger CC (Offshore)
Twin 200 Yamis

quote:
Originally posted by Jimtera

Oh…and thanks for the tip on the de hooking thing Bonzo…

according to that link it appears a pair of needle nose pliers will serve as a dehooking device…I like to stick with something made specifically for that purpose…great for dehooking bait quickly when sabiki’ing too!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I have these funky looking pliers I bought at West Marine…curved and long to reach down the throat…cross between needle nose, surgical scissors and pliers? Real nice.

Capt. Jim
26’ Ranger CC (Offshore)
Twin 200 Yamis