Do I Need to Back My Braided Line with Mono?

I have a Penn Fierce II 3000. When putting my braided line on it, do I need to back it with mono? I’ve been reading conflicting reports about it online and can’t figure out which method is best.

Thanks

I back all of my redfish/trout reels with mono because I certainly dont fear spooling over 100-125 yards of line, strictly an economic decision for me.

Your Penn Fierce II 3000 should had the “Super Line Ready” spool, has a rubber core so braid wont slip. As Beavertail said though, if you don’t want to put 250 yrds of braid on, spool 1/3 to 1/2 of mono then top of with braid.

I don’t know if you ‘need’ to back braid with mono, but it certainly is less expensive and certainly still works.

I use this IGFA formula to estimate the backing required for desired braid length.

How much monofilament backing will I need beneath my braided line?

https://igfa.org/About/Estimating-Monofilament-Backing-When-Using-Braided-Spectra.aspx

Took a new shimano baitrunner reel to nags head for surf fishing last weekend. It was purchased and spooled at a popular Charleston tackle shop. Ready for first cast and the line just spun under the weight of the 3 ounce sinker. The young guy who spooled it did not use a mono backer under the braid. I could not use the reel the first day and luckily had a backup. Took the reel to TW’s tackle in Kill Devil Hills and the dude spooled all of the new braid off, added backing, re-spooled the braid and did not charge me one penny. The baitrunner has an aluminum spool, so backing is a must.

Most new spinning reels are coming with “braid-ready” spools. For my older reels that aren’t “braid-ready,” I use the tape that comes in a lot of new fluorocarbon and monofilament spools as a backing. The braid bites into the tape and doesn’t slip. Been doing this for years and I haven’t had braid slip on my reels yet.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Put a couple wraps of teflon pipe tape on spool before loading line

What p-k said , I put 2–3 wraps of black plastic electrical on mine , either will work !!!

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Athletic tape works also. Something else that I do if allowable it to “switch the spooled line around” By that I mean to take a reel you want to spool and reel the line off of another used reel. The end of the spool you have been using may still be fresh line if you will.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Athletic tape works also. Something else that I do if allowable it to “switch the spooled line around” By that I mean to take a reel you want to spool and reel the line off of another used reel. The end of the spool you have been using may still be fresh line if you will.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

Good tip! I do this too.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

With braid you want to put it on with a lot of pressure, if the local store would of put the proper pressure he would of caught his error. Your line would of dug in and broke you off anyway if it was spooled that loose.
I never use tape or anything just take the line and wrap both ends around the spool about 4 times and and then tie your knot. I use all braif so if i break off a lot i still have lots of yds. Also ive seen people get spooled into there backing and the backing breaks. Reverse spoolin also leaves the back of your line weaker.

Unfortunately I was looking at stuff in the store and did not oversee the young dude spooling up the Baitrunner. I incorrectly assumed he knew what he was doing. I was pretty ticked when I tried to make a cast out on the beach. Lesson learned…

These are some really excellent tips on spooling braid and backing.

Next time you’re in that store, I’d bring it up with a Manager. They could use this as an opportunity to re-train the associate(s).

I will do so. Also, I have nothing but praise for the guy at TW’s Tackle at Kill Devil Hills who corrected my problem at no charge. I apologize that this has nothing to do with fishing, but I was looking over photos taped on the counter at TW’s while my reel was being re-spooled. There were photos of two black bears killed in Pender County near the town of Plymouth. One weighed 540 pounds and had a head the size of a bushel basket. The next photo was a 700 pound black bear. Pender County claims to have the largest black bears in North America. Bears in the Appalachians are considered big at 300 pounds.