Do you Commute J.I to D.I. everyday?

Do any of you guys commute from James Island to Daniel Island everyday? I have to imagine that in the morning it’s not terrible, but the evenings probably suck due to the whole 526/26 merge? I am just wondering how much longer I would have to drive everyday if I take this job offer.

Thanks,

Narcosis

I can tell you that folly rd -> crosstown/17 isnt too bad in the mornings if you arent pulling off onto lockwood or bee st. The next couple chunks I haven’t done - maybe take a day and drive it?

I drive from JI to Clements Ferry Rd everyday. My route TO WORK is Folly to JI connector, thru crosstown to I-26, to I-526 to Clements Ferry Rd. I leave very early so without traffic it is a 25 minute commute. Days where I leave later than 6:45, it takes 30-35 minutes due to crosstown and I-526 starting to get congested.

GOING HOME, I take I-526 to HWY 17, back across the Ravenal bridge, through crosstown, take a left on Courtney to Calhoun, jump on JI connector, I then take a Rt on Folly, left on Central Park to Riverland and on to my home. I leave work at 4:00 to 4:30 and the commute time is 30 minutes, usually. If I leave closer to 5 or later, then it may take 45 minutes or more.

I NEVER try to go home back over the Don Holt bridge unless I leave work very early!!!

Hope that helps.

I travel from JI to DI in the mornings frequently but i am not there in the evenings. In the mornings i go ji con,crosstown,17 to 526. I hate the don holt and if you are going north on 17 and towards DI on 526 you are going against traffic on 17 and 526. However we have timed it both ways and their isnt much difference. Sometimes i go 26 to 526 to change it up. Also, you can look on google maps and it will tell you where traffic is backed up and you can go the other way.

• I’d rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave.

[/URL]

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

Do any of you guys commute from James Island to Daniel Island everyday? I have to imagine that in the morning it’s not terrible, but the evenings probably suck due to the whole 526/26 merge? I am just wondering how much longer I would have to drive everyday if I take this job offer.

Thanks,

Narcosis

I do, and have for about 13 years. I have tried every possible route there and back and timed them all with a watch (I get bored in the car). I leave the house at a few minutes before 7:00 a.m. (normally 6:55) and I hit the parking lot on DI at about 7:30. The quickest route is to take Folly Road to the crosstown, through Mt. Pleasant and onto 526. As long as you leave the house before 7:30 it’s not too bad. If you leave at 8:00 or later, it’s real bad.

I also leave work at 4:30 p.m. and will hit the door on JI (I live near Brickhouse Kitchen) at about 5:02 to 5:05 p.m. Again, I go 526 and then jump on 17 through Mt. Pleasant to the crosstown and down Folly Road. Forget going 26 to DI. It can be almost as fast but a small fender bender will back up traffic for miles.