dodge ram eco diesel 2017? thoughts

Dabbling in the thought of buying a new truck and saw some huge discounts on the eco diesel. The MPG is the draw however the earlier models had some issues that I know of. Anyone with some insight? Picking up a new 4*4 crew cab for 14 k off sticker seams like a deal to good to be true especially with today’s truck market.
https://www.rickhendrickdodge.com/new/Ram/2017-Ram-1500-Charleston+SC-a12384940a0e0ae83c2f6da6d44538f2.htm

Class Action lawsuit against them on it. You hear mixed reviews, those that get a good one love them, those that don’t trade them in and take a loss. Ford is coming out with a baby Powerstroke soon for the F150. Nissan has the little Cummins and I believe GM will have a little Duramax in the 1/2 tons before long. Not a big fan of these smaller diesels yet, the reliability isn’t there.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Between the lawsuit and the bad image now with this engine. Along with the thousands of 2018s that were held off lots until the legal case could be settled that are about the flood the dealers at discounts, that 2017 is likely to depreciate a lot more once you take ownership. If it were me, Inwould just pay more and get the 2019 this fall. It’ll be worth the extra money.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Bigger rebates now on the Titan XD than 14k. Added towing capacity, the Cummins name, and a 100k mile warranty are hard to beat right now. Killing my resale on mine, but I don’t plan on selling anytime soon, and my warranty got trashed anyway.

The Ecodiesel is great if all you do is drive with no load. Load it and it’s a pig.

As far as not trusting these “smaller diesels” because the reliability isn’t there…I need to know what you mean. There are already 5.0 Cummins motors well over 100k miles towing daily. I tow with mine 4 days a week and have put 20k trouble free miles on mine in 8 months. The Cummins uses mostly already proven parts (except stupid CP4 fuel pump and the new turbo) and hasn’t had any troubles short of injector wiring harnesses (not a Cummins part).

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Little diesels have been in vehicles a long time. 4BT, OM617, OM603, OM642. Not to mention the countless Toyota diesels overseas since the 70’s.

A better statement would be, the little Fiat diesels are too new and not proven reliably yet.

Oh, and they plan to stop producing that engine in another 4 years also.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Little diesels have been in vehicles a long time.</font id=“red”> 4BT, OM617, OM603, OM642. Not to mention the countless Toyota diesels overseas since the 70’s.

A better statement would be, the little Fiat diesels are too new and not proven reliably yet.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Yep, my paw in law still has two Chevy loves with the Isuzu Diesel. Dang thing gets 45+ miles to the gallon. And that is a non computer controlled completely mechanical engine. Modern emissions be dammed.

You mention toyota diesel… Probably one of the most reliable and trouble free engines ever built. No EGR… no DEF…NO idiotic EPA mandated emissions, … Just a pure simple beautifully designed diesel engine that lasts and lasts and lasts… and gets ridiculous fuel economy. BUT, is not available in the U.S. … Well it is but very limited and limited to those importing it. By the way, did I mention that it thrives on High Sulfur fuel and still has clean exhaust emissions? Something that our EPA does not like to expose and pretty much every country in the World is using?

I have driven the Toyota Helix & land cruiser Diesel in South Africa quite an amazing setup with those engines.

I currently have an 04 dodge ram with 105k miles on it. I just use it for towing the boat and hunting, no issues so far. The daily driver is a Toyota Camry (31 mpg) that I use to drive 45 min to work each day and back. Having 1 vehicle that gets better MPG and tows would be nice.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

More what I meant. RAM took an engine that was originally designed for a European Cadillac and tried to make it into a truck engine.

Nothing wrong at all with that little Cummins other than the fact it is in a Nissan. They wouldn’t be able to build enough of them if Toyota or RAM was using them in the 1/2 ton.

Seriously if Ford ever started putting a Cummins in the Super Duty, everyone else could quit making trucks.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne