Dog Collars

The more details you share about the dog,the owner and her circumstances leave me with one thought…Good luck

quote:
Originally posted by sophish

A big thanks to all responders. I have talked with the folks several times,I stopped at Tractor supply and got them a top notch regular collar and a chain that can hold 150 pounds so it says. I also gave them a choke collar, the guys wife loves the dog and so do the kids,she is just unaware of the strength.I explained that the next move will be a bullet. The shock collar I was told could have made it meaner,also this family can not afford the dog let alone and underground electric fence,which is probably thier best choice. I was also told the electric fence at my place would probably be a waste of time and money. Thanks again and hope you all catch some fish this weekend.

You went above and beyond to help your neighbors keep a dog they love. I’d like to have you beside me. Surely good karma headed your way.

Dear Soph…You’re heart is in the right place, but I’m afraid that your not thinking this through. 1st…staking a dog on a chain with a choke collar is animal abuse. 2nd…staking a dog on a chain to control aggressive behavior has the exact opposite effect. 3rd…if the neighbor is financially constrained, what do you think the lawsuit is going to do to them when this dog inevitably commits a felony act? I believe that the best solution would be to have the dog given to a rescue service, and to offer to replace it with a small breed dog from the shelter that has been neutered and given an evaluation for health and temperament, with all the shots. Your neighbors are playing with a loaded gun, and it could go off on one of their own kids.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

quote:
Originally posted by bossdog1

Dear Soph…You’re heart is in the right place, but I’m afraid that your not thinking this through. 1st…staking a dog on a chain with a choke collar is animal abuse. 2nd…staking a dog on a chain to control aggressive behavior has the exact opposite effect. 3rd…if the neighbor is financially constrained, what do you think the lawsuit is going to do to them when this dog inevitably commits a felony act? I believe that the best solution would be to have the dog given to a rescue service, and to offer to replace it with a small breed dog from the shelter that has been neutered and given an evaluation for health and temperament, with all the shots. Your neighbors are playing with a loaded gun, and it could go off on one of their own kids.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

Exactly.

A dog on a chain is just going to get stronger, meaner and his tolerance for pain will only go up. One day that chain will fail, and when it does it won’t be pretty.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/dog-owner-sentenced-to-prison-in-fatal-mauling/ar-BB7blOj

I have a neighbor that actually put two collars on one if his larger dogs. Didn’t work. The dog wasn’t aggressive, he just didn’t want to stay in his yard if other dogs were around. He’d get out and come down to play with my dog.

I had a pit and lab attack my beagle in my yard one night. My dog was lucky to get away. I was fortunate that it was after hours in Greenville County, and I got a sheriff deputy instead of animal control. The deputy told me “don’t worry, I’ve wrote a report on this, so it can’t be ignored.” Didn’t know what he meant until the next day at Animal Control. The ac officer told me that there was nothing he could do if I didn’t have a video of the attack! I handed him the deputy’s report, which included the emergency vet report of 27 puncture wounds. Case closed. The owner paid a nominal fine, had the pit put down, and gave the lab to a farm family.

My (longwinded) point: keep the receipt for the chain and collar, and if the dog is acting aggressive, get a video. Then if you have to shoot, it should be an open and shut case.