Dog Collars

I would ask for some help in this matter. Have any of you used a shock collar?? How did it work? Suggetions for a control device for a Pitbull… I am trying to save my lil MinPin from the neighbors dog.The Pitbull keeps jumping my fence an attacking my lil girl and would also like to eat my kitties.I am trying for some approaches other than just shooting it which came very close to happening last night.Right now I am keeping my pup inside while I am at work just looking for some insight I really do not want to start a war with my neighbor.Also if anyone has a shock collar and not using it
.I am willing to pay for it just to save my animals,I am going to install or try to an electric fence this weekend. Thanks to all.

Call animal control. If the owners of the other dog can’t control it, then it’s your property and you have the right to defend it any way you deem necessary. I’d shoot the dam thing, but that’s just me.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

After reading the original post,it is hard to believe the pit in question is still alive…Are you really trying to find a shock collar for your neighbors dog?

This has to be a joke.

Probably depends on how responsive to pain the Pit is. Me, I’d talk to the neighbor first and tell them if they can’t control their dog and it presents a danger to your animals, then you will have no choice but to blow it’s brains out and leave it’s dead corpse on their front porch.

Oh, and don’t forget to tell them to have a nice day.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

it would have been gone the first time if it was my neighbors dog, call the cops and report it before it attacks some kids

Dogs attacking dogs isn’t exactly a reason to just haul off and start shooting. Salty’s approach is the best

I’d just throw him one of the cats and see if that satisfies him.

Electric fence on your side won’t stop him. Probably wouldn’t affect him anyway. Those dogs have a pretty good pain tolerance.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

So you want a shock collar for your neighbors dog? You have me confused.

I would polity tell your neighbor the next time your dog jumps the fence into my yard and attacks my dog I am going to put it down. I would also cover my arse and call the law and tell them a vicious dog jumped my fence and came into my yard and I feared for my life.

Call animal control and local LE. Tell your neighbor that since he can’t/won’t control his dog you called them. Tell him this is his only warning. If it happens again you will feel compelled to shoot to protect your dog. I know it doesn’t make for a good relationship with your neighbor but, he does not look like he really cares and you have a right to be able to put your dog in your own yard without worrying about it getting killed. If he cared, HE would get a shock collar though I doubt that it would work on a pit. Good luck.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I love all the internet tough guys in this thread. Until you are putin this situation, you have no idea what you would do.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

quote:
Electric fence on your side won't stop him. Probably wouldn't affect him anyway. Those dogs have a pretty good pain tolerance.

A good friend of mine has a pit and several other dogs. He has an invisible fence system with buried wires and the dogs wear a shock collar. I guarantee that pit will not cross the fence line. It really does work.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

I love all the internet tough guys in this thread. Until you are putin this situation, you have no idea what you would do.

I know a guy that had something very similar happen. He went to the owner and explained to him that he needed to do something about his dogs running wild…The dog owner told him to call animal control and slammed the door in his face…

Three days later the dog owner came by and this time he was searching for his missing dogs.
Granted things may be a little different inside the city limits but I have never heard of anyone around here refer to this “guy” as an internet bully.

quote:

I’d shoot my own (**() dog if it showed aggression towards another person in an unprovoked situation and I love my dog, she goes everywhere with me.

We had a neighbor with a Presa Canario, it pinned a girl in her car, charged my pregnant wife and puppy and tried to do the same to me one evening, those people don’t have a Presa Canario anymore. It died of massive head trauma cause by a rapidly moving mass of lead.

People go nuts over their dogs, dogs aren’t people. Dogs are livestock an live typically 10-15yrs. Time to replace them after that, aggressive dogs should be recycled ASAP.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:

I’d shoot my own (**() dog if it showed aggression towards another person in an unprovoked situation and I love my dog, she goes everywhere with me.

Mark

^^^^ This. I would not want to be responsible for one of my dogs biting someone or God forbid something worse. I would have no problem what-so-ever with it if someone were to kill my dog because she was aggressive to someone else on their property. It is my responsibility to train and keep her on my property.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Get that shock collar. Put a 240V plug on it. Then plug it in

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

Had a dog in the yard, very unfriendly attitude toward my young boys.
Broke a few bones in my hand that day, won’t do that again.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:

We had a neighbor with a Presa Canario, it pinned a girl in her car, charged my pregnant wife and puppy and tried to do the same to me one evening, those people don’t have a Presa Canario anymore. It died of massive head trauma cause by a rapidly moving mass of lead.

People go nuts over their dogs, dogs aren’t people. Dogs are livestock an live typically 10-15yrs. Time to replace them after that, aggressive dogs should be recycled ASAP.

Mark

^^^^^

What Salty the internet bully said. :wink:

Fritz, why do you assume we haven’t been put in this situation. I have and the dog/s died. Actually more than once. One time I came out to 14 dead ducks, two dead goats and four of my neighbors dogs trying to get into the peacock pen. I killed three and the fourth made it home and died later that afternoon. I won the law suit. Wasn’t the first time they came onto my property and neighbor was warned. I

Punish the deed, not the breed. It’s completely in how the pup is raised. But as far as this you for sure want to cover your own A and call first and talk to them and that seems to be the best route there

Fishing Nerd

“you win some, you lose some…but nothing beats getting some!”

A big thanks to all responders. I have talked with the folks several times,I stopped at Tractor supply and got them a top notch regular collar and a chain that can hold 150 pounds so it says. I also gave them a choke collar, the guys wife loves the dog and so do the kids,she is just unaware of the strength.I explained that the next move will be a bullet. The shock collar I was told could have made it meaner,also this family can not afford the dog let alone and underground electric fence,which is probably thier best choice. I was also told the electric fence at my place would probably be a waste of time and money. Thanks again and hope you all catch some fish this weekend.