Dolphin = good, bad, or neither

So, after I got out of the creek and started drifting along some oyster beds tonight, a dolphin came over and was swimming around me. He was right near the shore (I was in 3-4ft of water) so probably looking for food(?). I was only drifting about an hour, but didn’t catch anything (while drifting).

Does that mean anything useful? If a dolphin is nearby, does it spook the fish so I should move? Or is it perhaps a good sign if a dolphin is near by - meaning he knows there are fish around? Or does it make no difference or mean anything at all?

Thanks in advance.

~Brad

172 Sea Hunt Triton (current)
36’ Heritage East trawler (sold)

Dolphin eat redfish and trout. If Flipper is around, the fish you are seeking will NOT be there. They may return to the area after Flipper leaves. But if Flipper is around, move.

19’ Sea-Pro CC
“Swagger Wagon”
Yamaha 115 - 2 stroke
14’ CMF Skiff
25 Johnson - 2 stroke
14’ Heritage Redfish

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
Ernest Hemingway

Yeah what TexasRed said, in the winter if you see flipper then its a good spot for fish because thats where the spots and trouts are. Remember the place, tide, depth, water temp, and go out later and beat the flipper to the fish

A small fish in hand is better than big fish in promise

Good to know. Thanks!

~Brad

Ha (**() flipper he will ruin any fishing day

They don’t exact;y help shrimping either.

quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane701

No doubt.

www.baturinphotography.com

Flipper - cute and fun to watch but bad for fishing. :slight_smile:

I have never caught fish in any season with flipper around. From my understanding the target fish are more concerned with survival of being eaten than feeding themselves. I assume this is b/c when a body enters survival mode (“fight or flight” for ex) a hormone is secreted that slows down the metabolism=no desire to eat when survival is at stake. Deep @#i% for a recreational blog but it makes sense.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane701

No doubt.

www.baturinphotography.com

Is that a trout being eaten?

had flipper around a school of 300 reds today pushed them on the oyster bank and were still eating the artificials good

I “knew” you’d come along and claim they’d bite even with flipper in em. Pffft. Post the video. : )

quote:
Originally posted by wino86

I have never caught fish in any season with flipper around.</font id=“red”> From my understanding the target fish are more concerned with survival of being eaten than feeding themselves. I assume this is b/c when a body enters survival mode (“fight or flight” for ex) a hormone is secreted that slows down the metabolism=no desire to eat when survival is at stake. Deep @#i% for a recreational blog but it makes sense.

Was my first time out trying, so not sure how well it generally applies, but when I was at the jetties bull red fishing the bite actually turned on when dolphins WERE around. We actually casted towards them and it worked. Our only logic was that maybe all the bait was around there also (or the dolphins offered them one last meal!) First time I’ve been happy to see them.

In-shore, pull the anchor and go. But remember the spot!:wink:

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
sswamembership@gmail.com

While in Ft Myers with my nephew wee caught plenty of trout in 10 feet of water with 6 flippers all around the boat.I would bring in a 14 inch trout and toss it in the air and flippers would catch it.Most times around here i see flipper and i move to another place.

Stonoman

Anyone ever had a dolphin grab a red or trout during a reel-in?

The only time a dolphin has been useful is while I was gigging. They run tend to run the fish to the shore.

woo pig sooie

quote:
Originally posted by bradkingsley

Nope, but the gators at Bushy Park will sure grab a fish if you don't boat it in a hurry.

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

quote:
Originally posted by bradkingsley

Talk to Kayak Mick, I believe he has a story about that one.

DD

Annoy a Liberal, Work Hard and Be Happy!

Kayak Mick had that happen at Garris last winter. Red on…Dolphin on…Drag Screamin…Snap

Wow, crazy. That’d be neat to see. I’ve often worried about that - hooking a dolphin. I also worry sometimes about hooking one of those stupid ducks that spend so long under water that you can’t tell where they are.

(“Worried” isn’t quite right, but still, I don’t want to hook them! :))

~Brad