Dolphin Roe

Save the bacon wrapped grilled, what are other good ways to prepare dolphin roe?

Parboil the sacks. Onion, peppers, scallions, and garlic sautéed cut sacks open and add. Cool add cream cheese and serve with crackers as,a dip.

scramble em in eggs…

never much cared for any fish row. I think a lot of people are like me and don’t care to waste natural resources, but in the case of fish row… ? Like “sweetmeats” on a hog. I don’t eat em.

Cool we are all so blessed as to not have to eat the parts that don’t taste as good as other parts of animals…

“Why Bruce?”

I’m making bottarga with mine now.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

That is what I am working on now Jordan

I don’t have a recent picture but they are now smaller in size and much darker in color. I have changed the towels and salt 3 times. The Mahi is firm but the Wahoo is still pliable and I think it wasn’t quite ideal when I started with it so I may toss the wahoo.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

Nice Chia!!! LOL!!!

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

quote:
Originally posted by JordanOnaYak

I don’t have a recent picture but they are now smaller in size and much darker in color. I have changed the towels and salt 3 times. The Mahi is firm but the Wahoo is still pliable and I think it wasn’t quite ideal when I started with it so I may toss the wahoo.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

I make my own salmon grav lox sp? Very similar process. I would suggest going to a restaurant supply store and invest in a medium baking sheet with a matching rack that fits in it. I lay wax paper on the rack and put a few slits in it to allow drainage… cover all with saran wrap. All of the moisture settles to bottom of pan and you wont have such a mess with changing towels etc.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Roe is best simply cooked in bacon grease, and served with yellow grits. Both of my grandfathers could cook it to perfection,as there’s an art to having it not explode in the pan. Cook bacon and leave grease in cast iron skillet, allow to cool some then add roe, and gradually bump the heat up until roe begins to sizzle. Don’t overcook ,as it becomes dry and sticks to your throat.

Also, don’t ever look at roe under a microscope, you’ll never eat it again if you do!

I usually prepare it by throwing it into the river with the carcass.

Brine them in salt , brown and white sugar dry until the eggs are swimming in liquid. then into the smoker low temp for 2+ hours. Scrape the eggs out of the casings and mix with ranch dip - or make roe cakes with your fav crab cake recipe Make sure the tabasco is handy

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

Brine them in salt , brown and white sugar dry until the eggs are swimming in liquid. then into the smoker low temp for 2+ hours. Scrape the eggs out of the casings and mix with ranch dip - or make roe cakes with your fav crab cake recipe Make sure the tabasco is handy

That sounds positively disgusting…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC