Double hook up of tagged reds

One dock, two first casts, double hook up of tagged reds, 26" & 27" respectively. If I didn’t have the picture I would call myself a liar!
Never caught a single fish there after that.

Happy ending to a generally miserable day of fishing (weatherwise - fish kinda liked it!)

Vinman
19.5 Triumph, 115 HP Honda
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

very cool.

i took a tag lesson from the man. i thought we were posed to tag em like #2.

Great job Vinman…Now that is some luck…not one but TWO tagged reds off the same dock and a Double hook up too!!!..UNBELIEVABLE!!!..Nice going!!!

And Peapod…I agree…I thought the tag was supposed to be in by the dorsal fin also…Someone once told me that you tag older fish near the dorsal and smaller fish by the gut…Seems to me that tagging a fish near it’s gut could be a little dangerous for the fish!!!

livin life one day at a time!!!
2006 Seafox172
05 Mercury90hp(saltwater)

We got at gut tagged fish a couple weeks ago…never seen that before. And I forgot to report it, will do it now.

reelly…

www.LowTideRedfish.com

Dang Dude that is way cool. I guess the blizzard behind you didn’t stop you from fishing.

The first (belly tag) was mossed over pretty good. Had to scrape it to read the tag. The second was like brand new. Not a blemish on it.

If I recall my facts right, the smaller ones get tagged in the belly and the larger ones get tagged in the back. I may be wrong, though.

Vinman

Actually, here you go. Check Barbawangs comments below from a prior thread as to how and why fish are tagged a certain way.

"nice catchin y’all-- knowing what i do about the DNR tagging process, where they fish, and where i believe you were, i’d bet the fish you caught was tagged within a mile of where you caught him and within the last 6 months. you’ll know pretty soon when john archambault sends you his dossier.

fishcrazy knows what’s up- smaller fish (basically those under slot) get tagged with a plastic T-type in the belly as they are not large enough to handle the stainless “harpoon” style tag that goes into the shoulder and anchors against the skeletal system (pterygiophores). the little guys have a greater chance of losing their tags to abrasion, but are sometimes recaptured much later. some people mistake the belly tags for parasites, as they can become completely fouled by algae and invisible until scraped off… at certain times of year.

this is outdated info below, the dart tags were the ones supplied to rec anglers back in the day, but the big metal one on the left is the larger tag i referred to: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/tagfish/tagtag.html</font id=“red”>

nice job Vinman, textbook example of how to support the fishery… take a friend, eat some, release more, learn about the ones you caught through research programs!"

Vinman

Nice set of twin reds. Vin love the jacket. Go Pack Go.

A wise man once said “Do as I say not as I do” Good advice when I tell you that.

So, do you have a separate closet at the house for the hats and shirts? Two tagged fish is awesome buddy. I know DNR appreciates the info as well. You guys fished hard man.

Seafox 187CC

First cast + caught fish = bad luck fishing for the rest of the day

Holds true every time…

quote:
Originally posted by ratherbefishn

Holds true every time…

Yep, happened to me yesterday!

That was actually the last spot of the day. Of course, those two jokers get the two hog’s and I end up working the net…:roll_eyes: We caught quite a few even though the weather sucked all day. I helped get those two in the boat and immediately started tossing to the same dock with nadda for results…just glad we got both those in the boat for pics!

quote:
Originally posted by thrill203
quote:
Originally posted by ratherbefishn

Holds true every time…

Yep, happened to me yesterday!

— omnia causa fiunt —

Turtle - I say they never land em without the expert net job. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it. Nice job!

Seafox 187CC

BOSN knows - he has lost a few with me on the …net

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.sswaonline.com

Got an initial response back from DNR tag program. I sent along a photo to see if they’d ever seen a double hook up. Archambault said he’s never seen it. Kind of cool.

Fish gods owed us one for being out there in that miserable weather! Sad when you decide to troll from spot to spot because its warmer than hauling butt across the water! LOL!

Of course, caught 4 trout that way, so…

Word

Troutski

Nuther troutski

Reds caught on MM/jighead combo right on grass line 2 hours into falling and in about 4’ off dock late during early incoming.

Trout on 4" Redbone and New Penny Z-mans on the troll in about 8’ water.

Vinman

I think it was also the beer consumption. Once I cracked one open we started catching trout…coincidence…I think not! :smiley::smiley:

— omnia causa fiunt —

Turtle - That’s a proven “Fish Call”. Well, either that or a “Nature Call” over the side.

Seafox 187CC