Downriggers????

So the new/used ride I purchased has a set of Penn Downriggers on it.

I have no plans or wants to fish for Kings. With that said I was just wondering if many of y’all use these? Will be doing some trolling when weather allows for Mahi, Wahoo (hopefully) and of course a Tuna would be nice.

Have multiple planers and 4, Z-wings already.

Just want to clean up the boat, so to speak and get out of the way anything that I may not need.

Thanks in advance,
NN

07 23 Key West Twin 115 Yammys

www.joinrfa.org/

They also work great for pulling a dredge teaser. You could also pull your planer or zwing off the rigger and use the paper clip release system.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

They also work great for pulling a dredge teaser. You could also pull your planer or zwing off the rigger and use the paper clip release system.

Thanks Skinnee!

Someone else sent me a message saying pretty much the same thing. Guess I will keep em. After all, they are on an easy to remove bracket that I did not realize at first.

I also spoke to someone that catches their share of Hoo’s and he said the stainless cable puts out a nasty vibration and I could change it out to something like 200lb braid to eliminate that.

Any thoughts on that are welcome.

Also want to say Thanks to Wes and Tre for your help!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Yeah, I think most people leave the cable on there as backing (maybe take some off if needed, but not all), and then topshot some heavy mono on top of it. I think I have 400lb mono on mine if I remember correctly. I don’t run planers off of mine, but I do pull dredges sometimes and I also so a little live baiting down here. Braid can cut the bejeesus out of you, so you have to be careful with it. I’m not sure, but I think that is why you see most with mono as you tend to handle it more (like reaching out to grab the ball or something.

Honestly, you would probably want to keep them. You could sell them on ebay (they are there every day), but after a few years, you may decide you want them back. At that point, you will spend a lot more money and probably wish you would have never sold them. THe Penn’s are pretty basic in design and should last forever. If you have the fixed mount base, that is the ticket. Also make sure you have the swivel mount (goes between the base and the unit). Not sure how yours are set up but the 4’ boom (versus 2’) seems to be more common, and you can even get a rod holder mounted on the side of it…

Keep them. You’ll end up wanting them down the road, then not using them, them wanting them again. Trust me…

Pat Condon
www.kingstreetagency.com
www.ksamarineinsurance.com
(843)568-8559

Not going to sell them for sure now. They have the 4’ boom, rod holder and swivel mount as well.

Thanks guy’s!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/